magnesium test kit

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm having a bryopsis algae problem and trying to raise my magnesium level to 1800mg/L. I have a seachem mag test kit but it only goes up to 1200mg/L. anyone use another test kit that goes up to 1800?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's a titration kit, correct? The salifert scale only goes to 1500...

All you have to do though, is add the full contents of the syringe and find the corresponding value on the scale (in your case about 1200) then refill the titration syringe and record the second value when you finally get the color change.

Add the 2 values and you have your mag level. ;)

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I deal with bryopsis I take my magnesium up about 400 points and use a salifert kit. What I do is fill the syringe with 1ml tank water and 1ml ro/di water then multiply my results x2. Not sure if its a better or worse way to do it but its what works for me...

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not to hijack--more like hitchhike--I am likely going to do this in a few weeks (heading out of town in a few hours). Can I treat for bryopsis by simply raising magnesium? Or do I need to do it with Kent Marine magnesium supplement? I thought it was some inert/odd ingredient in the Kent rather than the magnesium itself that killed the stuff. If it is simply magnesium, that's a whole different, but welcome, picture.

Cheers--and good luck. Keep us posted on the details/issues/results.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've heard a lot of people having great success with bryopsis by simply raising their magnesium. He doesn't come on much anymore but Mantid is one tank I saw the difference in.

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;177155 said:
I've heard a lot of people having great success with bryopsis by simply raising their magnesium. He doesn't come on much anymore but Mantid is one tank I saw the difference in.
Oh, Im here! :)

I did have great success raising my mag to between 1700-1800. I then kept my lights off for a day or two when the mag levels reached what I wanted them at. This seem to stress only the briopsys and nothing else and turned the bryopsis clear and quickly fell off. It's funny because it didnt seem to effect any of the other algea in the tank, it just hit the bryopsys hard. Coral seem to never feel a thing from it, they looked better than ever through the whole process, which only took a few days. I did leave my mag really high for a while after the bryopsis died just make sure it didnt come back, which it didnt.

ailachami

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
also are you dosing 1ml/gallon or more? i followed the instruction on techM bottle and it doesn raise my mag as much as i wanted to. i was thinking of doing 2ml/gallon. is this safe?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
The rule I followed, raise Mg by 50ppm then observe tank for adverse reaction, next day raise by 50ppm and observe for any adverse reactions. If no corals/clams are acting funny, then raise by 100ppm(observe again). Continue 100ppm increments until desired level its reached. If any corals (especially sticks and clams) start having adverse reactions, back off on the rate you are raising your mg.

Side note, keep track of your coral/clam growth while raising mg. Mine exploded between 1600-1700ppm. It's just nice to know what my tank likes to be at.

Sent using Forum Runner

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;177184 said:
Side note, keep track of your coral/clam growth while raising mg. Mine exploded between 1600-1700ppm. It's just nice to know what my tank likes to be at.

Sent using Forum Runner
As did mine!

Mantid

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ailachami;177173 said:
does it work better with lights out for a couple of days or that is not necessary?
Thats really up to you. I thought it was really helpful in speeding up the stress of the bryopsis. It wont hurt your tank to turn the lights off for a couple days. Figure the natural reefs sit under the darkness of storms for days on end. The longest I have ever kept my lights off with a fully loaded coral reef tank was a full 7 days. When I turned them back on the coral were all still in their places but a little light shy and a slight loss of zooxanthellae but fully recovered as if nothing ever happened in 2 days.