Maxima Clam

Hey peeps--

So I got a maxima clam from one of our departing brethren selling off his stock and tank. It's a beautiful clam but I have some care questions.

First-- general care-- any and all input and suggestions are welcomed.

Second-- placement... I have a 6 lamp fixture T5. Currently the clam is in the upper foot of the tank as I'm told they like a lot of light. He's also getting moderate to high flow... not sure it likes the high flow so I may have to adjust that. Your thoughts on placement?

Third-- getting this thing to stay still... it snaps shut when a fish swims over it and this has caused, on numerous occasions, to send the clam sailing through the water and down the rocks etc. Lori, a member of this forum, suggested using a half shell to let the thing connect to the shell and then you can move the shell wherever you want. I like this idea, but the bugger won't stay still because of the snapping shut. So, is this a way of it saying it doesn't LIKE being where it is, or is it just freaked out?

I've taken the liberty of putting a small bead of frag glue on shell and attaching the clam. In so far as I can tell, the bead is lightly holding the clam in place and in so far as I can tell, the glue has not inhibited the opening and closing of the clam.

My calcium tests out at 400 to 420 ppm using an API test kit. I am not sure of alk or mag etc. Once I manage to get those tests, I hope to figure out what my tank may need in terms of supplementation but am unwilling to dose the tank without knowing where my parameters are currently.

As always, thanks for your help!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Your lighting is good. He will eventually settle down and attach. You could get a clam caddy ( frag plug for clam) from gonzo's have him attach to it on the bottom and glue it into place in the aquarium.