membrane chg on RODI

Tony44

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am changing out my membranes in about 5 months. I am changing DI resin in about 4-6 wks. I change sediment filter each month and carbon in two months. I am on well water that I believe is high in iron. I have a whole house filter on water coming into the house and before the RODI unit. This seems like a lot of resin changes and membranes do others see these issues? My corals and fish seem to do OK. I have started being more religious about flushing my membranes weekly to see if it helps. Any ideas? Will I have problems with livestock? I have had some die for seeming no reason.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You should flush the membrane immediately following every use in order for it to be effective. How much water are you making on a weekly basis? Even with hard water, I'd think your membrane should be lasting more than just 5 months.

What micron size are your sediment and carbon filters? You could either step down in size or add a second sediment filter to help with extend the life of the membrane.

Tony44

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't actually know the pressure but I believe it is fairly high based on the force coming out of any faucet inside or out. I have a BRS stage 5 RODI unit. The sediment filter is 5 microns, carbon is 5 microns and carbon .6 microns. All my filters and DI resin I have bought thru BRS. My whole house filter has two 10 micron sediment and a dbl stacked carbon I don't know the particle size. MY parameters are:
KH--9
CA-450
MG--1280
K--440
Temp--77-80
Phos--.09
S-1.024

Tony44

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm out of town but I think you want K at around 400. I had read an article that corals did especially well when K is kept at this level or above. I have found that this level is kept w/o additional K added just water changes twice a month keeps K at good level at least so far for me.