Mexican Grazer babies...how to help them?

SquidBreath

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey all! Anyone ever get their Mexican grazers to breed? Mine are spawning up a storm and I have a constant couple-dozen babies that seem to make it through the larval stage, but they get to about 3-3.3mm in size and then just seem to vanish. Is there anything I can do to help these guys along to get to full size? Time for a new keyboard...enter key doesn't work....Thanks! Dave

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe contact amphispur? They're apparently the experts on raisin' fish babies, if I recall correctly.
I've never even heard of a Mexican Grazer. Time to google.
Good luck!

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are they Collonista snails? if so, they come as go as nutrients are available. Nothing to worry about... I doubt they are the mexican turbos as I have actually never heard of anyone able to breed them in captivity before, but ya never know. Also, stometellas breed like mad in our tanks and the babies start off with shells that look like spirals.

Might jump in here now ;) So for me, getting snails to raise is all about making sure that you have a spare tank to put the babies in, so they don't get eaten. Also, make sure to put fresh microalgae in the tank daily to take care of them. I can give you some and give you some pointers on how to raise the algae as well if you want to. I get back from michigan in about a week.

Also, it can take a little while to get them to the adult age, I am currently working with Cerith snails right now and they are pretty easy. It usually can take up to two months to get them to adults, (all snails in general), but I have seen babies get to the "adult-like" stage (They look like mini adults) in anywhere from a few weeks to a month.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think that you can do much. I have had them have babies for years and none of them every make it much bigger than a grain of rice. They are colder water snails that can do OK in our tanks, but since I was never interested in a tank at 70-72 degrees (or whatever the Sea of Cortez runs at), I just gave up.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe you'll get a couple that survive. I always seem to have little baby snails all over my tank but have yet to see one grow beyond the size of the head of a pencil.