MuralReef 360 Classroom Tank

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
BrianH;366593 said:
Does that happen often? I only ask because I am new to pH probes/ calcium reactors. What causes them to lose calibration?
I didn't do any research yet. I hope it isn't a regular occurrence though.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
It seems to happens about every 3-6 months or so, maybe. Generally pretty easy to tell when its going to happen, as it steadily gives more readings that tend to bounce around. It can sometimes happen suddenly though. This is the reason some people run multiple probes as it gives you a clearer idea of when one is getting out of alignment.

Last edited by a moderator:

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Think my eel has developed a taste for serpent stars.

The green brittle star is still alive in the tank. I found it pulling that jumbo colony off of the sand.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'll try to get some pics today. The tank is still recovering from that phosphate spike a while back and I need to tear apart that pink birdsnest and remove all of the dead stuff.
What I have learned from this is always make big changes slowly and when you do test all parameters not just the ones you think will change. I thought my calcium or alk would be out of whack from removing big colonies and it was my phosphates.
I am back to changing 20 gallons a week and running GFO. I am thinking about adding bio pellets.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
That stupid birdsnest is melting again. This time it's the alkalinity. I usually sit at around 7 dKh and tested today it was at 12 dKh. Funny thing is this coral was indestructible for a long time now everything affects it? It has become my tank barometer of health.

This has me thinking of adding more zoas, softies, and LPS because I'm sick of SPS melting when one parameter gets out of whack.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
In my experience birds nest is the best gauge alk always seems to affect them first. So when I see it look weird that is first thing I trst

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I had been really bummed for the last week thinking I had lost my plump healthy blue streak cleaner wrasse which Angel made me feel guilty for buying in the first place! And bang he is back again today feeding and cleaning like mad! Go figure?

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;640093 said:
So I had been really bummed for the last week thinking I had lost my plump healthy blue streak cleaner wrasse which Angel made me feel guilty for buying in the first place! And bang he is back again today feeding and cleaning like mad! Go figure?
Crazy! Glad to hear that.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Tank is on autopilot for the next 2 weeks. I hope the custodian understood me well enough when I showed him how to feed the fish!