My 15 gallon tank

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I dig this tank. One of my favs, big or small.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

rajah

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got a big nem from Boogie which now lives in the back of the tank with the fish. They lay eggs all the time back there, but kind of a bummer that I can't really see em too well. But at least the nem isn't wandering around stinging crap which is what it was doing before.

rajah

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie, check out the growth on all the stuff you from tank - zoas are in the bottom left, frogspawn now has 8 or ten heads. Your nem took a walk into one of the powerheads about 2 months ago but has healed - seems like you trained them to do that or something.

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
WOW this tank looks amazing! I want mine to look just like that....i am just starting a 15. How much LR do you have in there? Also if you dont mind answering a few questions. what bulbs and how many t5s you running and whats the wattage total?

rajah

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
tlsrcs;130562 said:
WOW this tank looks amazing! I want mine to look just like that....i am just starting a 15. How much LR do you have in there? Also if you dont mind answering a few questions. what bulbs and how many t5s you running and whats the wattage total?
Yeah, just saw your 15 - looks good! Shoot, I'm not sure how much LR, maybe 10 or 15 lbs? I would leave space for corals and flow. You can always add more rock later. The bulbs are all ATI - 1 aquablue, 1 purple plus, 2 blue plus, which makes a sweet combo. 24 inch T5s are 24 watts each.

rajah

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
michael.lemke;130657 said:
I do find it hard to believe that fish, even Nimo, can help you get girls. Lol
no, it works. I take the fish to the bar. You know, just like taking a puppy to the park.

Awesome - I love seeing stuff like this. Gives me hope that one day my little frags are going to grow up and move out. OK, maybe not move out, but definitely at least have some little ones so I can DBTC them, lol.

rajah

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
This is exciting. I dosed two much Ca and Alk this morning (and probably over the last week or so) and my tank turned milky white. Overdosing led to a calcium carbonate precipitate coming out of solution. The danger here is the pH becoming too high from the overdose of Alk. The CaCO3 precipate actually lowers the pH however as the alkalinity comes out of solution (more info: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.php#11). I measured pH and it was just above 8, so I'm fairly calm about this. Apparently it isn't that uncommon and the CaCO3 should dissolve within the next few days. Interestingly, the corals don't even seem to mind too much at this point, and most of them are still extended. Fingers crossed this clears up soon with no loss of livestock. I bet my fish are ****ed right now...

:/ I dosed too high in sodium carbonate on a large water change. The pH looked fine but the alk was thru the roof(around 16to16.5ish). Looked like a snowstorm in my tank that would calm down and it did slightly...... All my corals made it, all my fish and shrimp died. Do you have an alk or calcium test kit? If not, i can bring my over if u need to use it. I can also bring some ro/di water if needed.

rajah

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yikes. I'm surprised you lost livestock if the pH was OK. I figured the danger with an alk overdose is pH changes more so than anything else. I have kits so I'll monitor Ca and Alk. Once this stuff dissolves, then I think alk and ca would shoot up and that's probably when I need to start monitoring really closely and might have issues.

Thanks for the input and the offer on the kits. I sure hope I don't lose anything.

rajah

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's clearing up steadily at this point, so I guess that's a good sign. A lot of calcium carbonate is actually settling out onto the rocks and glass. Not sure how much is dissolving versus settling out.

So far all the corals are still extended and the fish seem to be acting normal.

rajah

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ca was at about 550 ppm and Alk was only 3 meq/L. I'm thinking it was a Ca overdose more than Alk. I'm also wondering if these values will go higher as the CaCO3 that has settled out in the tank slowly dissolves.