Name and possible bleaching?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have this SPS for a couple months, and I guess its slowly been losing color and maybe start bleaching on the bottom. Anyone know the name on this coral and confirm that its starting to bleach on the bottom of the coral? I've read that bleaching is caused by too much light as well as not enough algae in my tank, is this true? I have plankton as well should I dose more of that?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
"Too much light" bleaching would have happened almost initially. If given the light slowly, they can take all of the light that we can throw at them with good spectrum. That being said, I have never once light-acclimated a coral and never had an issue. IMO, this is more of a wrong - spectrum issue.

If they lose color over time, then it is likely high nutrients, lack of major or trace elements or the wrong kind of light.

Losing color underneath is typically a lack of spread-out light source - very common with LED or small-reflector haldies that are heavily prone to shadowing.

It looks to me like yours is starting to STN (slow tissue necrosis). This is not good and hard to reverse in the same tank. Gonna need some parameters to help: salinity, nitrate, phosphate and alk would be a good start.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;n637680 said:
"Too much light" bleaching would have happened almost initially. If given the light slowly, they can take all of the light that we can throw at them with good spectrum. That being said, I have never once light-acclimated a coral and never had an issue. IMO, this is more of a wrong - spectrum issue.

If they lose color over time, then it is likely high nutrients, lack of major or trace elements or the wrong kind of light.

Losing color underneath is typically a lack of spread-out light source - very common with LED or small-reflector haldies that are heavily prone to shadowing.

It looks to me like yours is starting to STN (slow tissue necrosis). This is not good and hard to reverse in the same tank. Gonna need some parameters to help: salinity, nitrate, phosphate and alk would be a good start.

Temp: 78.7, Salinity: 1.025, Ph: 8.2, PO4: 0.04, NH3: 0.0, NO2: 0.0, NO3: 0.20, Alk: 9.0, Ca: 430, Mg: 1600. Do you happen to know the name of this coral?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What kind of lights are you using? Are you modulating some LEDs too much? Do the parameters stay stable, or do they flux a bunch?

It could be acropora tenius or acropora nasuta, but I really cannot tell from the pics. Ask who you got it from.

That acro is not equipped to eat most plankton - it will not help. The polyps are not even out. Is a fish picking on it?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;n637689 said:
What kind of lights are you using? Are you modulating some LEDs too much? Do the parameters stay stable, or do they flux a bunch?

It could be acropora tenius or acropora nasuta, but I really cannot tell from the pics. Ask who you got it from.

That acro is not equipped to eat most plankton - it will not help. The polyps are not even out. Is a fish picking on it?

I have the Kessil A360N and the parameters have been stable for quite a while, ever since I put an ATO on it which was been on it for like 7-8 months now. And no fish have been picking on it that my wife or I can see/know of. I guess my tank isn't supposed to hold some SPS.