New and need help

Fish are fine with no problems, I do get some of the Red algie at times but was told that is normal and just need more water changes. Dont know what else to say about my problems as I am not real sure what else I should be looking for or doing.

Is there any place that does a "hands on" class that I could learn more? It seems I'm willing just not able to get all the clues from reading.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the club, it does look like you could use more light, and temp stability is pretty important, nitrogen chain tests would be good, skimmer? flow? water changes?
(His profile says he is in Arvada)

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Come to a meeting im sure there is a LOAD of memebrs here that would be more then happy to talk about it with you. Alagea out breaks are from avaiable nutrients which as stated above could be part of the problem as well( i know from an ongoing issue) Un fortunaatly Nothing in this hobby is a one issued problem there is always more then one thing going on to make something not right.......but isnt thast why we all do it? problem solving??

I do skim, which I dont get alot of product from but some.

I have some corals, have a Kenya tree, mushrooms and not real sure of the other name and have alot of coverage of them, maybe zoas? pic attached[attachment=60927:name] I will redo my chemical test later in the day as I just did a water addition and dont believe I would have correct results

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
we have monthly meetings, there is one near you this month, it is at the firehaus located at 36th and tejon, there will be plenty of folks there and many will be more than willing to talk about their salty methods.

I will be joining the meetings for sure as i'm excited to learn more and figure this out so I can build my tank. I really appreciate all the chat and help with ideas.

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Run a water sample over to Elite Reef and talk to them. Welcome. I have been told that pulsing Xenia likes dirtier water. Mine does not thrive as I like really clear tanks but my other corals do well.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
your lights are an issue they are not adequate for most corals ...sounds like you might have something else going on as well but might as well look into getting lights because those wont cut it for corals

....you said your water was tested and looks good but knowing what was tested and the exact parameters could be helpful

tlsrcs

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
id say Halids or/and T5s are fine you just need more then the 4 little ones.... If you look around on the Equipment for sale there are some good deals on used lighting stuff...

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
tlsrcs;143657 said:
Jeeze boogie
LOL. I still don't see it...guess I need to lay off the drugs...maybe...

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
a
dboozen;143684 said:
What should I look at for lights? Hate to go out today and replace bulbs if there will still be an issue.
depends what you want to grow ...
t5's are fine but your going to want atleast 4 bulbs front to back and the more the better ...2 more of those corlalife fixtures wont cut it IME they just dont put out much PAR
you could get metal halide lights ...but they use alot of electricity, get really hot, and a decent bulb will run you close to $100 each about once a year or more
I would defiantly look into LED's if you can do it ..its well worth the money in the long run vs. other lighting

whatever you decide ..check our classifieds, craigslist, Reefkoi (google it) has some nice led options and is in coloraodo, and laast but not least see if elite reef (in arvada) has anything to met your needs ....if none of that works be sure to check out all our sponsors

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah, saw that. After I linked then all the replies came up. Dang this being at work thing is really slowing down my response times.

I would agree with most. That looks like a fairly deep tank and with only two small t5s per side plus a glas shield you are not getting much light penetration. I would look for a bigger t5 fixure or mh. imo. I know there are a couple for sale in the forum (I know because I have a 5' t5 one. :) http://www.marinecolorado.org/forums/showthread.php?10390-WTS-ATI-5-4-bul-t5h0-unit-with-bulbs )

Lighting won't make a bit of difference if the chemistry is wrong though. Taking a sample to Elite and having them test it would definately be step one again, imo.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Before you buy any more corals I have some zoas and some leathers left from a tank I'm tearing down. You are welcome to them if you want them to try. I'm planning on turning off the tank this weekend (assuming I can get someone to pick up their fish, ahem, Dillon, lol).