ProjectX DIY LED

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I have decided to build a complete LED setup for my 90 Gallon Reef.
I am trying to get as much of the spectrum into it as possible but dont want to break the bank in the process. I know that I am over building but not sure by how much so I figured I would post up here and get all of your thoughts.
All of the LEDs are Cree XP-G or XP-E with the exception of the red, and UV.
the Reds are Osram 660nm, the UVs are no name but are max current of 700ma.
I am going to build 2 identical setups using the rapidled 6x9 heatsinks.

here is a pict of what I am thinking, any input is greatly appreciated.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I think that it will be ok. My only real concern would be whether you have enough blue. I have used a mix of colors in one of my builds, and the red will drown out most everything else VERY easily. I have my red turned down to about 10%. Anything more and it would be too much. It looks like you basically have a 1:1 ratio of blue to white. The UV really don't put out much visible light at all, so they won't do anything for the color, and I have never used green, but I would guess that it will also wash out some of the blue.

I suppose that as long as each color can be dimmed individually it would work the way it is.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

I think that it will be ok. My only real concern would be whether you have enough blue. I have used a mix of colors in one of my builds, and the red will drown out most everything else VERY easily. I have my red turned down to about 10%. Anything more and it would be too much. It looks like you basically have a 1:1 ratio of blue to white. The UV really don't put out much visible light at all, so they won't do anything for the color, and I have never used green, but I would guess that it will also wash out some of the blue.

I suppose that as long as each color can be dimmed individually it would work the way it is.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Should I dump the regular blue and replace it with more royal blue?
I didnt realize the picture didnt come out very large, i have natural white and cool white as well, would I be better off with all cool white?
trying to cover as much of the spectrum as I can

lpsouth1978@msn.com

That is the battle. I don't think you should cut back on the spectrum at all. My most successful and colorful tank has a wide spectrum of led's. It has cool white, neutral white, blue, royal blue, red, and UV. I honestly believe that the tank looks the way it does because of the different LED colors. I think that you need to make sure that all of the colors can be individually dimmed. My build has 76 LED's and uses 13 dimmable buck pucks. Unfortunately, at about $15 each, that would mean well over $200 for your build, just for the drivers. I thought that it was worth it to be able to dim each on it's own and really be able to customize and control the color. Also, the buck pucks are so small that the box with the drivers, power connections, and potentiometers is only about the size of two meanwell drivers.

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Also, It looks like you are in Aurora, as am I, so you are welcome to come over anytime to see my setup to see what the red and UV do to the tank.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I might take you up on that, was planning on using the 65amp meanwells that are PWM dimmable for the majority of the LEDs so I can control them from my reef angel. Im not opposed to having seperate drivers for the red green uv, I have 2 dimmable drivers that I used when I tried to add blue to my existing LEDs.
I think he ELN-65p drivers can handle 14 LEDs so I think i would need 4 of those.