Pseudocorynactis photos

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Saw something interesting peaking out from the corner of a frag that was tucked under some rocks last week...with the lights on it was closed up and I just saw a few blue and green tips. I figured it was a ricordea (I have a couple in my tank), though I wondered how it appeared a good 10 inches away from the other 2 I have in the tank.

I turned the lights out temporarily while doing some maintenance tonight, and when I turned them back on I saw what looked more like a nem with white ball tips...I had intentionally added some strawberry nems (corynactis californica) to the tank, but the colors on this one were definitely different.

Pulled the frag off the bottom of the tank to get a better look, a positive ID, and a couple pics. :)

Turns out I have at least 2 of these guys...there's another one closed up on the right side of this frag

Pretty cool looking. Are they safe to have close to polyps? I have some of the white with orange discs that came on a xenia rock but not by my zoas. That guy looks awesome under your lights

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Pseudocorynactis photos

Cool colored corynactis. All the ones I have had have been in the orange to pink range.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Blazinjack;249962 said:
Are you sure those aren't mojanos?
Definitely not. That was my initial concern, but the white ball tips confirmed that they aren't.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Good_GReef;249948 said:
Are they safe to have close to polyps?
Unfortunately no....the ones touching the nem are closed up and annoyed. I may attempt to clip them off that frag and attach them to another rock if the start spreading.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mojano can have white, green, pink, brown, or any color for that matter. My first guess here would be mojano... but....i have honestly never seen one with white tips with green so close to the tips on the tentacles. Usually the color is in the body and on the tips, not on the tentacles.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I'll get another pic up later...but the mouth is also more consistent with a corallimorph than an anemone....it's as long as the tentacles and tapers out like a ricordea, which is what threw me off at first.

None of the pics of majanos that I've seen have those distinct ball shaped tips, but I'll certainly keep an eye on it just in case. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out where these came from though. I only ever had corynactis that were translucent with a rose colored base...and I used dry rock to start the tank. I've only added maybe 3 frags in the past several months and inspect everything before it goes into the tank. I suppose it could have snuck by me...they do look very similar to a closed zoanthid when they retract fully.