PVC cement ?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I got my new return pump this eve and I need to glue 1 union. How long should it dry before reef safe?

PVC cement ?

Depends on the type you used... Some take 72 hours I think to fully cure and there's some that are just a couple hours...

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: PVC cement ?

Did some research the other day on Google and I read people use it right away with no problems and some wait a couple days. If you can't smell it its usually cured. Also depends on if you're using it for pressure which the can may say it needs x amount of time to cure

Sent from Earth

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
Typically the cement shows the cure time before pressure ready. I would suggest to wait a day or around 24 hours. The last thing you want is a failed joint at the pump.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
use a blow dryer to help speed up dry time

amonchak;215838 said:
Typically the cement shows the cure time before pressure ready. I would suggest to wait a day or around 24 hours. The last thing you want is a failed joint at the pump.
Agreed. You should really take your time here. Not a big deal for peace of mind.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
PVC cement ?

My problem is that this can not be done while running another pump. While the glue is drying the sump will be sitting and the tank will have no heater... I suppose I could run a powerhead in the sump and the tank would be fine for a few hours. I think I'll just wait as long as possible while monitoring the tank. The glue says pressure test in 2 hours. I am just questioning the manufacturer.

amonchak

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C Treasurer
2 hours should be fine. Pressure testing in PVC is usually some where in the 100 to 150 psi range (depending on application) your system will likely have 10 psi or less, so letting it dry for a few hours should do the trick. I still suggest using / allowing the manufacture recommended cure time.

Also you could always move your heater to the display tank until the sump is back on line.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I let mine cure for about 30 minutes, then fired everything up.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
PVC cement ?

cdrewferd;215953 said:
I let mine cure for about 30 minutes, then fired everything up.
Did you have animals in the tank? More worried about that than a small leek in the sump.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Not when I first fired it up.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
PVC cement ?

Got it done, compression working fine! The joint is under water. Didn't want to take a risk. Thanks everyone!