QT: copper treatment and ammonia readings

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I set up a QT/hospital tank and was testing water every other day to make sure nothing would get out of hand. Did that for about a week and water quality was fine. No skimmers and no filtration on the setup, no LR or sand either. I have four fish in there. Then two days ago I added Coppersafe following the directions on the bottle. The next day my API test kit was giving me a reading of 1 ppm for ammonia. So I freaked out did about 40% wc and added Coppersafe to new water to keep it at the same level. Retested and it showed 1 ppm again. Can copper throw off ammonia readings? Is it just my API kit? I tested DT right after and it show 0 ppm for ammonia. How can I make sure ammonia does not get out of control if my test kit is giving me potentially a false reading? Any ideas?

kio707

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Needs filtration. Copper kills off good and bad bacteria. I'd just get a cheap HOB and run it.

David

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You need something.... bio balls, filter floss or the like. If you get a cheap filter, make sure that the pad does not have carbon in it.

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I have a canister filter that I could use if I decide to go that rout. I am pretty sure it works. I am just trying to see if anyone knew about copper and its effect on ammonia readings? I appreciate the offer though.