"Radioactive Dragon Eye" Zoanthid Fragging 101

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Zoanthids are probably the most propagated corals and for good reason. They are one of the toughest corals that presents in a great variety of colors which means they take to fragging very easily, heal quickly and continue growing.

Zoas can be fragged in several different ways depending on how they are growing and whether or not the rock they are on needs to be saved.

In this video I demo a method for fragging them off of your rocks without damaging the rocks themselves.

To do this, cut under the zoanthid polyps as closely to the base as possible with a fresh razor blade. It's important to cut as closely to the rock as possible in order to protect the polyps internal structures. In many cases, cutting a small bunch of polyps will also increase survival rates as they are easier to attach to rock or plugs and they generally heal more quickly.

After cutting polyps from the mother rock, glue them with a gel reef glue to rocks or plugs. Less glue is better in this case to prevent excess from getting on the zoa's skirt. Be sure to press them into the glue very gently to prevent any internal damage to polyps.

If there's a specific species you'd like to see fragged, comment below.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can you show a video of fragging a mini zoa? Like the tubbs blue for instance, they always give me trouble due to their small polyp size. Thanks!

Could you show a video of performing a fragging of a single zoa head? I have some falling off my frag and want to frag them before they start floating around the tank

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I didn't realize I had a couple of requests in here. I'll see what I can do and post them up when I get there. Also, definitely solid advice to wear eye protection while cutting on any coral.

Got some fresh polyp pics to share with you this morning. Anybody fragging some nice ones this week?

Just cut a BUNCH of the classic "Utter Chaos" palythoas a couple weeks ago and am again surprised by the success rate. Quickly becoming my favorite polyp strain to frag! Every single one still happy and attached where I glued it. It also doesn't hurt that they're one of the brightest polyps...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk