Rbta sick, dying, or just trying to tick me off?

So I've recently changed out my lighting to some cheap LEDs.. The light seems bright enough and the mother rbta, the gbta, and the coral are doing great... He has been balling up, loosing tentacles, mouth has been wide open, and sometimes it looks like he is falling apart literally.. But then out of no where he'll get better.. I've seen him sucking on his own tentacles and he was doing well last night after the lights were off and only had a little bit of light from the moonlights.. I turned off the lights for a bit today to see if it helped but he got worse..I don't want him to kill off everything in my tank so I jest moved him over to a five gal. Bucket until I know what to do...any advice?

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hard to see a lot in the video, however it doesn't look like it is bleaching to me.
What are your water parameters?
Is this a split from your rbta?
Anything near where it was that could have been stinging it?

WatercolorsGuy;262681 said:
Hard to see a lot in the video, however it doesn't look like it is bleaching to me.
What are your water parameters?
Is this a split from your rbta?
Anything near where it was that could have been stinging it?

My water is ok...my nitrates are around 15 so I've been doing water changes. It is a split. Could that be a factor? The only thing that has changed recently are the lights... I do have a toadstool that was somewhat close to it..should I keep it in the bucket for now?

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
A couple things come to mind and hopefully someone with more knowledge with toadstools will comment. I know toadstools are notorious for chemical warfare and I wonder if this could be going on.

Anyone have a comment on this?

Also sometimes I have lost a split from an rbta for no apparent reason. They seem to do good for a while then kind of do what you are experiencing. I have no reasons for why mine have done it. But they have eventually dwindled down to nothing.

I think removing it from the tank is ok as long as it is kept heated and possibly running carbon in case there is some chemical warfare going on from the toadstool since I assume you are using the same water in the bucket from the display tank.

WatercolorsGuy;262693 said:
A couple things come to mind and hopefully someone with more knowledge with toadstools will comment. I know toadstools are notorious for chemical warfare and I wonder if this could be going on.

Anyone have a comment on this?

Also sometimes I have lost a split from an rbta for no apparent reason. They seem to do good for a while then kind of do what you are experiencing. I have no reasons for why mine have done it. But they have eventually dwindled down to nothing.

I think removing it from the tank is ok as long as it is kept heated and possibly running carbon in case there is some chemical warfare going on from the toadstool since I assume you are using the same water in the bucket from the display tank.
PI am using the same water.. It was the quickest way... But I used an led lamp that's kind of dim for some light in the bucket... Turned it off and now I'm using a small moonlight strip and it looks a lot better... I had wondered if it was the leather but now I'm thinking it's lighting... Wouldn't it have just moved itself?

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
shannonlewis1980;262704 said:
PI am using the same water.. It was the quickest way... But I used an led lamp that's kind of dim for some light in the bucket... Turned it off and now I'm using a small moonlight strip and it looks a lot better... I had wondered if it was the leather but now I'm thinking it's lighting... Wouldn't it have just moved itself?

not necessarily. toadstools cant move obviously, and if the nem really likes where its at or is stubborn, it will try to fight or stay where its at possibly.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I would look at your lights. LEDs tend to be alot more intense and direct than convential halides. Keep in mind, each one of those LEDs is its own source of light, but I would also get rid of the toadstool, IMO.

Ive known people in the past that have had to move all corals into the sand after setting up LEDs just becuase of how much different of a light source they are. Most people will go with LEDs that they can run at a % of normal power and slowly raise it to allow the corals to acclimate. There are many ways to acclimate your tank to the new lighting if your fixture is not dimmable.

I would also reccomend adding a small amount of iodine to the bucket the little guy is in, he may be having issues healing from the split and the iodine would help him out a bit for healing, BUT ONLY USE A SMALL AMOUNT, TOO MUCH WILL KILL HIM!!