Red sea's new no3 and po4-x reducer

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I figured I'd try this stuff out and see how it goes. I've been dosing vodka and vinegar for the past 9 months on and off and I can't keep my po4 down below .5 all my corals seem fine and happy even my stonies so I'm hoping this will bring my po4 down below .1 my nitrates stay around 1 with dosing. Even running po4x media and carbon and skimming wet wasn't helping. So turned off the po4x reactor today and started dosing. Instructions say not to run any other po4 media so well see how it goes. Chris at aquatic art started dosing it in his systems today as well so we should have some good insight on the product soon. I ultimately want 1 on my no3 and less than .1 on my po4 to bring out the colors in my corals.

RuRoo

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interested in your progress. Hope it works well, then I'll try it.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is it no3po4x? If so its just like vodka, vinegar, sugar dosing. I dosed that for about 6 months. Worked really well!!

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yepp. Doesn't seem like many people have used it though. Mainly trying it to get my po4 down since vodka/vinegar doesn't seem to be doing that for me.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well after 3 days here's what my levels look like.
Po4 - .5 now .25
No3 - 25 now 10

This is awesome I'll wait till they get down to 1 and .1 and than really cut back my dosing until I maintain these levels.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
All my corals look good don't see any side effects.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
How are the long term results?

po4 down below .5 and even .25 is really high. It should be .02-.06.

Do you have SPS? If you do, once you get PO4 down your SPS will take off with growth.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
High levels were due to my last tank, and lots of fish. I think the rock is about done leaching now my po4 today was .07 and nitrates were 1 or less hard to read on the color chart.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
You should consider dosing Lanthanum chloride (seaklear pool po4 reducer) - do reasearch before you do, but in a nut shell you add 5ml (really that little) into two litters of RO/DI water. Then you drip it (1drop per second) into a 5 micron sock (some folks use a 10 micron sock) within your sump (near skimmer). With your po4 that high, you will gunk up 3-4 socks. I wash and reuse them. That would knock your po4 to about .08, and GFO can keep it low. Also bump your DKH to 9 or 10 because LC will lower your dkh.

I have 22 fish in my 72 gal, I know all to well about high po4..... and no3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
DyM... Where did you get that info on the Lathium chloride? I'd like to research more about it!

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just saw this thread for some reason. I also started dosing this stuff last week at the suggestion (and experience) of Cris C. I'll update as things progress. The reef tank that was empty, but connected to my larger fish only, is now a full reef. With this being combined with a fish only for the past 6 months or longer, my nitrates are sky high and GHA runs rampant. I'll update soon.