Reef Rookie in Fort Collins

Hi All,
My name is Zach and I live in Fort Collins. I have had several freshwater setups over the years, but I have not had a tank set up in about 10 years. My interest in aquatics was re-sparked when my wife brought home a goldfish for our daughter back in October. I really love building/designing things so I knew I could improve on the "standard fishbowl" that she picked up with the goldfish. After looking around a bit I found the Fluval Spec V at petco and thought it was a pretty neat format for a small tank, so I bought one. It was still in the box when I thought to myself, this is a NICE tank for one goldfish... then my mind started drifting to thoughts of gutting out the existing filtration in the Spec V and finally trying a saltwater system. After lots of research, reading and talking to people at the LFS, everyone seemed to discourage such a tiny setup for a beginner, but it is all I could really afford at the time so I took the plunge anyway. So long story short, the goldfish is still swimming in his "bowl" and my Spec V has been thoroughly modded and now (just a few weeks ago right before Reefstock '14) looks like this: (They are not great photos because they were taken with my phone)
From end of tank:
View attachment 18433
From above:
View attachment 18434

In the past, I have, for the most part, been a lurker on many forums of various topics. Searching and trying to absorb the knowledge from millions of existing posts can consume HUGE amounts of time! but when I have some time I could post a build thread with some pictures of the DIY components that went into this little guy, if anyone is interested.

I'm still trying to figure out how to tune my lights to provide what the corals really need/like, and I feel I've been pretty lucky with no major troubles so far in the tank. However, luck can only last so long and I hope I can learn from the community here enough to have some long term success!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! We love build threads and DIY projects, so feel free to post up when you have some free time :)

Really cool tank, I've been thinking about getting one for work if I can convince the boss to let it happen.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;300250 said:
If you need people to nerd out with there's plenty of people up here
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is that a yellow goby? It looks orange in the pic.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome. I did a similar thing and my first tank was a 17gallon and it is still going strong after 2 years. Great looking tank!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Thats a sweet first tank!!! Looks to me like you got the hang of it pretty well and I look forward to watching your tank grow.

Thanks for all the nice comments! The tank seems to be doing well so far, but its getting cramped already...lol. I recently picked up a 58 gallon Oceanic tank and have started building a wife approved stand for it so an upgrade is already on the horizon :)

Miah2bzy;300377 said:
Is that a yellow goby? It looks orange in the pic.

Yes it is a yellow goby, under my lights he does tend to look a bit orange tho. I'm not sure why. Like I mentioned, I've been fiddling with my lights (DIY 4 channel/multi-spectrum led on a storm controller) and have yet to find a proper balance with regards to spectrum/intensity. He is almost invisible under just the royal blues in the evening towards the end of the light cycle!