RO/DI replacing?

Mav

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
When should I replace an RO membrane? I just upgraded to the BRS chloramines system in the early spring. I'm showing 0TDS after the DI stage but if I take the DI resin out I'm running 3-7 TDS

Do I need a new membrane? I just replaced the membrane in the spring as well. I thought a membrane should last up to 3 years. I have noticed my DI is wasting a lot faster than it use to or at least seems to. I have been making a lot more water than I use to due to the new clownfish/ rotifers/ phyto. I also have noticed a tanish slime in my water change buckets and a huge amount of hair algae in my tank for the past few months. I figured it was due to a few fish dying and non frequent water changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Measure your TDS before and after the membrane. If your membrane has, for example, a 97% rejection rate...and you measure a TDS of 100 before the membrane you should get a TDS of 3 after the membrane. I wouldn't freak out if the numbers are off a little...but if you're expected rejection rate of 97% looks like 90% instead...I'd replace the membrane.