Salifert Magnesium Test Kit

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dunno if this is the right forum, but here goes . . .

I picked up a salifert magnesium test kit in anticipation of super-dosing to kill off bryopsis. I gave it a test test, so to speak, and ran into a snafu. If I titrate the full syringe until it reads zero, that equates to 1500ppm. But the color had not changed yet, meaning my magnesium is higher than 1500 (and I will need to raise it even higher to kill off the bastard algae). I am assuming I refill the syringe again and continue titrating and just add the new reading to the 1500. Is that correct? Or is the scale based on a gradient where the lower end is different that the upper (I don't know if that even makes sense to me . . .).

Anyway, I am rather ashamed to say that I haven't used any sort of test kit for, oh, a couple years. I little refresher and clarity would help.

Cheers

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You are absolutely correct. It may take 1600 to kill it. Be patient with it. High mag won't effect anything I've had it at 1500 for months just cause its slowly coming down from me taking it to 1600

Rebel

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, man. I just wanted to be sure. I am actually doing a couple 40 gal. water changes to bring the magnesium down first. Then I can raise it again with the good stuff that will (hopefully) kill off the bryopsis. I had been raising it via normal dosing two-part (third part--again, something that doesn't make sense to me).

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kent tech M I'm sure you already know.