SteveT's 600Gs (tons of pics!!)

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
Yeah, I have been meaning to update... Just have been crazy busy the last few weeks. Tank is doing great aside from some fluke issues like my Duncan randomly losing half it's heads to brown jelly and a few of my euphillas dying for an unknown reason. I am also still fighting with some cyano but it seems to be getting better. I will take some pictures today and do a better update later!

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
SteveT;210875 said:
Yeah, I have been meaning to update... Just have been crazy busy the last few weeks. Tank is doing great aside from some fluke issues like my Duncan randomly losing half it's heads to brown jelly and a few of my euphillas dying for an unknown reason. I am also still fighting with some cyano but it seems to be getting better. I will take some pictures today and do a better update later!
I had similar issues before. Turned out my fire shrimp was attacking everything at night. Hope yours gets resolved soon buddy!

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
Alright, so since I have been getting harassed about an update:whip:, I got some pictures together and here it is:

Here is my Red Dragon frag... It has crusted the plug and has started to form a few new axial polyps, but for the most part has refused to grow vertically yet.

Orange digi, relatively new frag of Oregon tort I got from Aquatic Art, sunset milli and green slimer in the background

my fatty sailfin tang

Red planet frag that I got at the DBTC meeting last year. It was doing the whole crusting out on the plug but not growing upward thing until about 3 weeks ago when all these branches formed out of nowhere.

So hopefully that should hold you guys over until I can take some more photos. A lot of people have been asking for more pics of my sump so I will do that and post again soon!

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: SteveT's 600Gs (tons of pics!!)

Uhhhh Steve? Your slacking on the updates my friend!!!! How is the growth on the big tank? Are you find the water is staying more stable with the larger body if water?

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;216297 said:
Uhhhh Steve? Your slacking on the updates my friend!!!! How is the growth on the big tank? Are you find the water is staying more stable with the larger body if water?
+1

I'm curious as well...

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
I am having some very strange issues. Which is part of the reason I haven't done an update. I have lost quite a few corals the past month or so. My PH keeps dipping below 8.0 at night, yet I am keeping my ALK in the 8-9DKH range. I am thinking that this is where my problem lies since it is mostly SPS that seems to not be doing as well, some zoas and for the most part my LPS are totally fine. The weird part is how well my other SPS and zoas that are not dying are doing. lots of growth good color... its very frustrating and confusing. I have been a little extra busy since taking on managing the Lionsgate Center, the event center my parents own. So I have had less time to spend working / looking at the tank which makes it harder to figure out what exactly I need to do to fix this. I think that these problems may be due to the tank needing mature more. I figure more water volume will get you more stable parameters, but will also take longer to fully mature into a true box of ocean.

The good news with the tank is that all the fish are doing very well and I have seem to beat the ich into remission. It had me wondering if I was ever going to be able to keep tangs in the tank. None of the other fish would show any signs of infection however almost every tang I put in the tank aside from my sail fin and blue hippo would get it bad after introduction and would be dead days later. After loosing 2 powder blues and a clown tang I stopped adding tangs for a month or two. I then tried one last time adding a purple tang, clown tang, naso tang, and barine tang. I added them as a group, after the lights went off, and after a longer acclimation than I normally do. I also increased the amount of feedings w/garlic and ordered a pound of gracilaria from catfish charlies so they have a constant supply of fresh algae to eat. That seemed to do the trick! Those tangs have been in the tank for over a month now looking fat and healthy and no signs of ich! (even though I do know its lying dormant somewhere in the tank waiting for the fish to get stressed enough to succum to infection, but I just have to accept that since tearing everything down and setting up an elaborate QT system is just not an option for me)

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is the tank in the basement? I have the same problem so I started leaving a window cracked, not good for heat bill but the corals love it!:/

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
Haddonisreef;216569 said:
Is the tank in the basement? I have the same problem so I started leaving a window cracked, not good for heat bill but the corals love it!:/
my whole house is basement level. I try to get as much ventilation as I can with out making it too cold down here.

kOZality

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wow! What a tank! I'm just going to live vicariously through your tank thread for the time being, because there is no way I can fit a tank like that in my apartment lol. I have a 12g Nano Cube at the moment. Your tank makes mine look like an Ecosphere haha. I really hope things stabilize for you. I can't even begin to imagine the work involved in maintaining such a beast of a system. Major props on the build. I'll definitely be following this thread. :D

SteveT;216548 said:
I am having some very strange issues. Which is part of the reason I haven't done an update. I have lost quite a few corals the past month or so. My PH keeps dipping below 8.0 at night, yet I am keeping my ALK in the 8-9DKH range.
Do you run a refugium with lights? on the opposite cycle as the tank? running the refugium lights opposite the DT can help maintain the pH. just a thought

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
KatahdinKid;216834 said:
Do you run a refugium with lights? on the opposite cycle as the tank? running the refugium lights opposite the DT can help maintain the pH. just a thought
Lol look at his thread.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: SteveT's 600Gs (tons of pics!!)

Awesome pics as always Steve!!!

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where did you get your copperband from? And how does he eat with all the tangs? The one I had was a very passive eater where as my tangs are aggressive eaters.

SteveT

Butterfly Fish
I got the copperband from catfish charlie's. He eats like crazy! at first he only accepted live brine but he learned to eat frozen very quickly. He doesn't really get in there and compete for food with the tangs though. He stays away from the feeding frenzy but still gets very excited and chomps down everything, I have even seen him gnaw on a big hunk of krill. I have another copperband in my frag tank however that I got at the same time that still refuses to eat frozen and will only eat live brine.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have to say I love the big tanks, Love all the fish and the great mix that you are able to have with a big tank. Looks great Steve