Stockman

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Having issues with a stockman overflow mod on the tank, still noisy. Anyone running this setup by chance?

I'm getting a flush like behavior, it fills up, then woosh, quiet for a bit, then woosh...

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Never used it... Can you do a herbie? They are silent!!!! (Even in the sump area) I'd never use anything else again.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No room for a herbie. I have two drains and one return. Was running one stockman, and the other as an emergency overflow. It does have an air tube with valve to control airflow.
Are you saying run a valve to slow down the drain? If so I heard this was a bad idea... ????

jagermeister

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
You might try adjusting the depth of the air tube up and down in the drain pipe. Or try increasing the size of the air tube.

You're getting a siphon in your drain and introducing enough air at the right place will break it and not allow it to form.

Also, since you're using only one drain, make sure it has the capacity to drain what your return pump is pumping.

And, imo, constricting your drain with a valve is a bad idea.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
If you have three holes that's all ya need for the herbie! Do it! You'll love it. 1 drain with the ball or gate, 1 emergency, 1 return.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I also recommend the herbie. Definitely spend the extra money and go with a gate valve over a standard ball valve for tuning.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
ThunderTwonk;261673 said:
I also recommend the herbie. Definitely spend the extra money and go with a gate valve over a standard ball valve for tuning.
Gate valve is worth the price, about 50% more. Way easy to adjust and fine tune.