Superman's (aka dv3) LED build thread

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
Time to start the build thread at least so I can document how long it takes me to finish ...lol

So I need to build some lights for my 58g (36"x 18"), Sump 20g, and Frag tank (24" x 24")

Heres what I have acquired so far:
Cool White x 72
Royal Blue x 84

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If i could request that you take alot of pics of the build process to add to the log please.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dang this cause I told you it would take you five years to finish this today? lol

I really am excited to see this build, seeing you are going to add some other colors as well. If you order them turquoise from ledgroupbuy let me know, I got in half on the shipping with as I want some as well.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;134372 said:
For aluminum, goto boulder. There is an aluminum recycling place, $1/lb. They have a bunch of sizes and varieties. The guy is an old EE, so he can help you too.
do they have big enough heat sinks?
Boogie;134373 said:
If i could request that you take alot of pics of the build process to add to the log please.
yes sir ..i plan on it
KhensuRa;134376 said:
Dang this cause I told you it would take you five years to finish this today? lol

I really am excited to see this build, seeing you are going to add some other colors as well. If you order them turquoise from ledgroupbuy let me know, I got in half on the shipping with as I want some as well.
yes all because of you ...lol
yes turquoise are on the list ...i will let ya know

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
rockys_pride;134410 said:
You don't have to have huge fins, if that's what you meant. They have large pieces and some small. You'll def need a way to cut it.
dont want huge fins ...i am looking for something that was designed to be a heat sink though and looks good since im not using a canopy

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm in on an ledgroupbuy with a twofer of turquoise and a twofer of deep red. I want to throw in 1 green per 8 white but I'm just running a trial right now so I don't have enough lights to do that. Any Idea of a good place to order drivers and leds from other that ledgroupbuy and rapidled?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Depending on the color of LEDS, you can some times pick up crees on Newegg for mega cheap.

What driver would you guys go with for 10 to 12 3watt leds?

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Depends at what current you want to drive them. I prefer meanwells and you could easily go with a eln-30-48 to run a string of 12 leds at about 600mA or the eln-60-48 to run 12 at 1300mA.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I want to dim them and would want them close to 1000mA as possible.

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
The elns are dimmable and you can dial them back to whatever current from 0-.63A or 0-1.3A respectively. I feel bad for hijacking don's thread though. Go ahead and start a thread to ask all your questions in.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i think i have all the drivers i will need but as the chin ease one fry they will probably be replaced with mean wells

you guys post away anything led related here i dont care ...i need to figure out what extra leds i want and id be in for a GB ...ill probably just want turquoise for color ..i don't really see red or green benefiting coral growth or color ...seems like a gimmick to me