Tank Background what are my options?

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Putting together a 90 and starting to think that leaving the tank back as it would be kinda ugly as my wall is currently a cream color. I have spray painted a few tanks before but have had problems with it chipping overtime when moving those powerheads attached to magnets. I know that I could also paint them.

I have also read up on some shadowbox, has anyone of you tried this before?

Any suggestions as to what color and how it should be applied if I was to go with a color?

bruby

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
In the past I have used velcro and gone to hobby lobby and bought pieces of fabric. I kind of liked it because I could easily change the color if I got bored.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you want to go simple and non permanent like paint sort of is just go to any sign shop and get some vinal in any color you like. It goes on easy and comes off easy if you ever want to change it.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kalgra;204265 said:
If you want to go simple and non permanent like paint sort of is just go to any sign shop and get some vinal in any color you like. It goes on easy and comes off easy if you ever want to change it.
+1 to vinyl. I actually just grabbed the window privacy stuff that they sell at Lowes, but it's essentially the same thing.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did something similar to shadow box but far cheaper and more logical. I got a sheet of abs plastic from tap plastics that I cut to fit the back of my tank. Your back wall is going to be covered with coraline eventually so light reflection shouldnt be a concern. You will soon decide to quit scraping your glass anyway so it doesnt matter down the road. Vinyl works very well as long as it is installed right. Id say vinyl is the easiest and most logical imho.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just did my 180 with black window tint from lowes cost me $18+ $4 spray bottle. Cheap and looks great

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
opakapaka;204284 said:
does the vinyl require any type of adhesive or anything?

nope its like a sticker but you spray the glass with water then peel the back off the vinyl get it in place then use a credit card or something similar to squeegee the water out from between the vinyl and glass.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
would it peel or anything if I was to move the magnet cleaner on it?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No, never had issues with that. As long as you allow it enough time to seal properly at the edges, remove the air bubbles, and clean the glass well prior to putting the vinyl up it shouldn't peel at all. I have a planted tank that has had vinyl on it for almost 3 years and it hasn't budged.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It shouldn't unless the dry side of the magnet is really abrasive. Actually the sign vinyl is pretty thick. It could become worn with time but if it does just heat it with a hair dryer to pull it off and apply a new piece.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I did something similar with a thin sheet of delrin. I bought a large piece during Colorado Plastics remnant sale. After cutting to size, I used my mp10 to hold it in place (it was a side piece).