Tank Moving

sadams

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wasn't quite sure which forum to post this in but...

Looking for feedback moving a 210 glass aquarium (beside bring a lot of guys) :) I've seen a you tube with some guys using "moving straps" ? AND I've seen some suggestions to use "cups" maybe? I'm guessing the suggestions are suction cups, and I have one from Harbor Freight (used for laying tile), but I gotta say, I don't think I'd trust my Harbor Freight suction cup to 300-400 pounds..... So Looking for thoughts/suggestions that others have used to move these behemoths... Right now just moving from the back of a pickup to the living room (storage until my basement is finished then the tank goes down stairs -eek) :)

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Harbor freight for the win! They work great, get 4 sets and make sure they are clean. Get 5 guys total for the stairs, that way you can hand it off as people don't fit around corners and such.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 to the Orange harbor freight cups, they work great just make sure they and the glass are clean!

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;287442 said:
+1 to the Orange harbor freight cups, they work great just make sure they and the glass are clean!

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

+10 I have 8 of these and they work great. The cut off point for them IMO is a 230g ish

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't use the suction cups if you just have a few people on the tank - if you lose one (they are harbor freight quality, not NASA dead-on-balls-accurate quality or anything), then you can drop the tank. If you have enough doods, then you can afford to lose a suction cup.

FWIW - myself and one friend can carry a 240G tank up and down the stairs by ourselves with just leather gloves (which help a lot). We move them around with a better quality 2 wheel dolly when on the same floor. It does not take as many people as you think - sometimes too many are a problem getting through doors and stuff.

sadams

Amphipod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey Labs, thanks for the offer, Unfortunately (and I'm sure you're awfully sad about this :) ) I'm not going to be able to take you up on your offer but it is much appreciated! I grabbed a couple of unfortunate neighbors and we moved it into the house today (not too bad with 3 of us, but only had to go 20 feet or so). The big move will be in several months when it goes downstairs (yuk, one of my neighbors already told me he'll be out of town whenever that is :) ) Thanks again for the offer!