Top off issues

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the reply's on the float valve switches. I'll mull over it with the wife and see where she'll let me go from there. I had one issue come up just before I went out of town. Luckily I looked in my sump before I took off because it was full of top off water. It's happened to me before so I know what happened. Whenever I fill my top off containers with RO water, the water line gets too high and when the pump turns on then off its created a siphon and water just keeps pouring into the sump until the water line reaches below the goose neck of the tubing going into the sump. Besides remembering where I have to fill the water at each time, sometimes I like to fill it up quite a bit before I go out of town so the wife doesn't have to worry about it, is there anything else I can do/fail safe to install, so if/when it does happen again and I'm not home I'm not F'D in the A.

Last time this happened it just dramatically change the salinity, as well as mess with the proper water height for the skimmer, didn't flood anything yet though.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
It just regular airline tubing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
The check valve only work if it tries to reverse direction. Mine just keeps going in the same direction because essentially my pump started a gravity feed for my RO water

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Run the feed tube up high from the pump and drop it back down to the sump, and i mean a decent amount. You want the peak of the feed tube to be well above the sump before it drops back down, this will stop the continious syphon issue after the pump stops running.

Also try to make sure your top off container is a low to the ground as possible. If its up higher than the sump theres s good chance for a continious syphon to happen as well.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was hoping I didn't have to use that method but it does work. My containers are brute trash cans, the food grade kind (20&32gal) so they are higher than the sumps

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
What about putting a tiny hole in the tubing where it sits inside the container? That way when the pump shuts off it pulls air and cuts the siphon?

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sump is under the tank

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Ok, first of you need to make sure the top off line never gets submerged in the water this will prevent the siphoning effect you are having. Also I might be able to come over this weekend to help if you want.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Picture of how you have it set up? But Sctip seems to have the right idea for your case. Make sure the ato line in your sump is above the water line.