Want to add a streaming webcam

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'd like to be able to pan/tilt/zoom and have it stream and be controllable off site. I found a Dlink but it doesn't get the best reviews. I was thinking a similar set up to yours with the acrylic cylinder.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have a design in mind for everything other than the zoom. I'm no camera expert so anyone can feel free to correct me on this... Most cameras we would want to use are the type you'd have for security purposes or USB cameras for video conferencing. Cameras I've found with physical zoom tend to be more expensive than the ones with "digital" zoom. The actual zoom capability is done through changing the focal point by adjusting the lens. I haven't seen a digital zoom yet that is worth using.

We were just able to change the focal point on the postage stamp sized camera we're using currently by physically breaking the lens off and remounting it. :) Thats not the best solution but it works for now for out application. I've been trying to brainstorm a way to add a rotating housing on the lens to make it remotely adjustable while keeping everything compact. Or, I just need to spend more time researching what's already out there and not reinvent the wheel. I still haven't messed with the goPros but they aren't cheep to start with.

The pan and tilt features are fairly easy to implement.

The next few months will tell me if we're on the right track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
While the gopro cameras are great for a variety of purposes I don't believe they are capable of streaming. I am starting to think that the best way to do this may be with a security camera with a dome but I am concerned that the video quality may not be the greatest. Or as you said utilizing a stationary camera capable of zooming and making the tube pan/tilt.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea the GoPro isn't made for streaming, and the workarounds I've seen online seem to result in poor quality/framerate.

You could always use a security can and build some sort of enclosure for it...even suspending it inside a viewing box would be doable if you can keep it dry. Or create a "lid" for the top of the box and keep it high enough above the waterline that splashing isn't an issue...doesn't have to be completely submersible, just need to keep condensation out.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
WatercolorsGuy;294101 said:
I have a cam set up for viewing my tank. Originally I just used an old android phone. I am using a Foscam (http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8910w-wireless-ip-camera.html) now, and now I have the ability to pan and tilt from anywhere in the world, plus it has night vision. With port forwarding through a wireless router you can view it from your phone or any computer anywhere. I use No-IP for my dynDNS service. I originally set this up to use with my Apex, however now I just use it as a stand alone tank viewer. Very easy to setup.
I could see building your own waterproof acrylic housing partially submerged as a viable option with a Foscam.
How are the images from the foscam? I've looked at these a few times even though there isn't the ability to zoom this seems like my best bet.