Water changes??????????

Because i have been at this a while and don't need to validate myself or reasons for not being badged to you.Was it the way I said it or just being direct hurts? Others have said the same. The PC aspect is silly. I'm just putting my two cents in and when you ask for opinions not all are going to make you feel good. I wish you success and have had the same issues over time so I knew right away that possibly starting over was best. If that's not your take then so be it. If those words hurt it was inintentional.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Unintentional. Sorry. Also have nearly the same setup. So when I saw that it brought back strong memories. Good luck

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
timnem70;666410 said:
Unintentional. Sorry. Also have nearly the same setup. So when I saw that it brought back strong memories. Good luck

I was asking for opinions and guidence . Your post came across as trash talk. So yes not cool in a comunity like this. I would expect something like that on RC or nr. So if it wasn't intended that way then we are good. I'm going to be removing my rock and cleaning it this weekend, lots of water changes and restructuring my rock formations to remove detritus traps. I'm still debating cooking the rock but haven't decided yet.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
deadrock;n666443 said:
I'm still debating cooking the rock but haven't decided yet.
Cook it, if nothing else it will be a great reset for the natural filtration the LR provides. Plus it is a neat science experiment to see all the crud that comes off of the rocks for weeks in your buckets!

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I better start listening to you guys lol. I'll cook the rock starting this afternoon when I get home from work.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
deadrock;n666453 said:
Well I better start listening to you guys lol. I'll cook the rock starting this afternoon when I get home from work.
:stoked:

I want to say it took me 6 or 8 weeks for the process. Ultimately when you "swish" your rocks in the buckets (I did three 5 gallon buckets) the final bucket should stay almost perfectly clean, that's when you know you are done.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You are done when the water in the container has no residue and the phosphate is at, or near, zero.

Swish the rock off in your tank or a bucket and throw the water away. Put the rock in a bucket with a powerhead and heater and clean saltwater. Next weekend, swish the rock and replace the saltwater and clean the bucket. Do this every week until you are done. Make sure that no light gets into the bucket. Keep the water at least 70-72 degrees so that the bacteria and microfauna in the rock can stay alive and do their work.

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
So it's done rock is gone, I will be removing all substrate through water changes (siphoning it out during water changes). I found a substantial amount of detritus under my rocks. I'm running pureflow pad and filter pad to clean the water up, It's very cloudy at the moment. Rock is in a 5g bucket with a power head. I will do a water change on the rock in a couple of days. I'm going to give my tank a days break before I do another water change. Mainly to let my poor snowflake clown calm down.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Only issue with cooking his rocks now is he still needz cycled material for his clowns. Maybe theres enough bacteria just in the sand, dunno. Id at least throw new spong le or filter floss in back to start forming new bacteria growth if all the rock getting cooked.

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fitz19d;666479 said:
Only issue with cooking his rocks now is he still needz cycled material for his clowns. Maybe theres enough bacteria just in the sand, dunno. Id at least throw new spong le or filter floss in back to start forming new bacteria growth if all the rock getting cooked.
I have rubble in my fuge area, I know it's probably a good idea to remove that too but I think I should leave it for now for the bio , since I'm removing all substrate

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm also going to upgrade my return pump to a Rio 6hf , it a 77gph gain and should help me out with filtration. And stir up the fuge a little better.