Waving Hand Removal?

Linderman

Platinum Sponsors
Platinum Sponsor
Ok, somewhat stupid question here: what's the easiest way to remove waving hands? They are taking over, as they are prone to do, I know. I like the rocks they are on and unfortunately they are taking over the big rocks that are firmly entrenched in my tank. Short of disassembling the entire rock structure and cutting them off, is there an easy (er) way of removing them? Can they be scraped off while still in the tank? A steel brush? Any experience with it? I guess I'm hoping someone has a trick up their sleeve that would make this easy.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
What is a waving hand?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I personally had a coral beauty that ate pulsing xenia but I have read some damsels will eat it as well as some other angels. BUT .....BE CAREFUL because Angels IMO are not a matter of will they eat/nip at you corals but when. So if you get one in there know you will prob need to remove it once it eradicates the xenia because it might start eating other corals.

Oh and I have also heard of emerald crabs shredding xenia ;D

* edited I was thinking xenia not anthelia my assumption is maybe the same things will take care of it but could be completely wrong sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh that stuff. Yeah I picked some up as DBTC... now I need to make about 10 frags plugs full of it to pass along.

I really like how it looks waving in the flow, but I can see how it is going to get out of hand quick.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I hate to be the bearer of bad news.. but the only surefire eradication method that I know of is to tear apart your rockwork and eliminate it from the rocks outside of your tank. Even one tiny speck of the stuff will regrow into a new patch, and scrubbing it off the rock while still in the display tank is the best way I know of to have it propagate exponentially. I know this because BajaMike and I like different fish and corals, so we each have our own tank. Those tanks are connected to the same basement sump. He hates this weed with a passion. I kinda like it in small doses, so I had some in my tank for a while. Then I redid my rockwork (as in took out all of the old and put in all new dry rock). Somehow, a tiny fleck of the stuff from my tank must have broken off during the festivities. It travelled down to the sump, through the hammerhead return pump, and into his meticulously maintained, SPS-dominant 300DD tank, attaching itself in a spot that you simply can't reach. It's now thriving on his back glass, and my tank is completely weed-free.
I don't think he's forgiven me for it.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Actually if you can get your hands on some fluke tabs they will take care of them and all Xeniids in the tank, only takes a minute amount to eradicate.

Something in my tank loves anthelia with a passion. I tried moving some from another tank into the display and it looked great until lights out. Annihilated come morning by either peppermint shrimp or my filefish. Knowing how many other things my filefish has found tastey my bet is on him. I will say that he must have left the tiniest of specks of it because i can see it trying to regrow. On some zoa frags i had to remove them and i scraped it off in another container, rinsed and then superglued over it. It takes time unless you have a lot of kalk paste or a terrorist filefish.