where to find ballasts for 400 watt radiums

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I have been running the wrong ballasts on my radiums up till now and since the bulbs need replacing I want to get the correct ones only I'm having trouble finding the correct ones anyone have any sources?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
M80 is for 250w DE or 250 SE Radium. The very best magnetic ballast to run a 400 watt Radium is an S145 HPS ballast. This is the same as what PFO used in what they called their 400 HQI (which was not really HQI). You can still get the parts to build an S145 from Venture Lighting but the cores are made to order and you will wait 5-6 months just for the cores. If you go this rout buy twice what you need so you have a replacements.

Here is the next best alternative M135. These wont over drive the radium and will be more on blue side but will reliably fire and operate the bulb. The other alternative is to find a Galaxy or Lumantek HQI electronic ballast
http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/item/Metal-Halide-400-Watt-Assembled-Pulse-Start-Ballast-1383

Last edited by a moderator:

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've been happily running lumatek ballasts. Now you're telling me in doing it wrong??? ;-). What's the difference? (Curious)

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
High Plains Reefer;350957 said:
so would get the m135 kit and find a box to use then?
ballast boxes good for this hobby are hard to find. At least I've not had much luck. Hamilton makes the m135 with an enclosure.

if you tried to get an S145 you would need to find a box or use an enclosure from an old ballast.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
High Plains Reefer;350960 said:
A guy on cl has some 315w pulse start magnetic think those would work?
I guss it depends on your definition of work. Yeah they would probably fire the bulb however I dont think they would drive the Radium very well. I would stick with something that's been proven.

How many do you need? I have a couple electronic ballasts I got from Mike and Cindy I would be happy to pass on to you. Granted they are different so you they may each burn the bulb a little different and hence have slightly different output/color

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I'm using hydrofarm phantoms

I'm just trying to figure out how much I have to spend to get them working right I don't have the cash right now but I will in the near future with the foot finally healing again i should be able to really start investing some money in the tank again

Last edited by a moderator:

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm not familiar with those ballasts and thier spec sheet dosnt give much to go on but their appear to be electronic ballasts. Why do you think these are the wrong ballasts?

Technically all US spec ballasts are the wrong ballast for the Radium. Mostly what it comes down to is finding a ballast that 1st will at least operate the bulb reliable then 2nd gives the desired color/par you are looking to get from the bulb and 3rd you should consider longevity of the bulb. Over driving a400w radium will give superior color and par but will also reduce the life. I will be running mine at ~470 Watts on a s145 ballast but 6 months is the max life span I will expect from the bulb.

In my personal opinion its only really worth using the 400w radium if you are going to over drive the bulb beyond 400W like 430-470 (think SPS dominated!) Otherwise I think the 250 radium with an M80 ballast is a better choice and you will get longer life from the bulb. You can overdrive the 400w with an electronic ballast that has "HQI" mode but if im not mistaken it will be somewhere around 415-420W. Capp does this with Galaxy select a watt ballasts and obviously it works for him.

If those phantom ballasts don't have an overdrive or HQI mode then its probably not worth running the Radium with them as you are just not getting the potential from the bulb.

My questions for you are do you like the color/par you are getting with the Phantoms? Are you having issues with the bulb firing? I could be wrong but technically I don't think your ballasts are any more "wrong" than others out there. The question is really more of are you getting the potential out of the bulb. My guess is you would be happier with 250s running on Hamilton M80 magnetic ballasts. The M80 is still readily available from Hamilton and has tried and true results with the radium.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I havent checked the par i like the color they are pretty reliable starting you dont happen to have a par meter i could borrow it seems the masc par meter is MIA