Why You Should Use Live Rock

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Okay I’m still far from adding rock to my tank but there are some risks with live rock and getting pests like hydroids that Charlie is unfortunately going thru. Some can be handled while others may ruin tanks. If I was willing to take the risk where would everyone recommend to buy the rock from? I’d want the more porous rock but seems with new changes true reef live rock is hard to get.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just call a wholesaler in Cali and have them ship me some boxes to DIA - I just ordered 500 lbs of Fiji for a new build. Even Hydroids cannot likely live through the curing process. Most pests come in on the small rock that wild corals are attached to, or frag plugs - there are plenty of people with dry/dead rock tanks with all kinds of pests. Rock shipped in water will also be full of pests - this is one of the few reasons that I avoid TBS rock.

livestockusa.org will ship it to you. Any good LFS can order you rock by the box as well.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
@jda123 is the Fiji rock still available?

When looking at http://www.livestockusa.org it says collection and export has stopped. But when viewing their price list, the Fiji rock does not say 'currently off-line' like some of the other varieties.

Do you have any other wholesaler/supplier suggestions for a group buy?

Sorry to sidetrack your thread. We'll continue the group buy discussion in the new thread created by @JuanGutz .