WTB Aptasia Laser

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Alright, Im sick and tired of battling this aptasia. Ive got it down to a small amount with kalkwalsser paste, but Im tired of doing this rigiment everyweek with water changes.

I had a file fish who started to like the way my expensive zoas and palys tasted, so he is now gone. I have 3 peppermint shrimp in there and they dont seem to like to eat aptasia, theyd rather wait for fish feeding time and ocme out to eat.

Basically I want to erradicate this while I have it down to controllable level.

Anyone got an aptasia laser I can borrow?

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
You are welcome to borrow mine Josh but i give you to disclaimers :D

1. I live in Highlands Ranch
2. The laser is not an end all say all tool in my experience like I had hoped and wished for :( However it will def light up, burn, annihilate, crackle and pop some aiptasia!!!! They just seem to come back again and my guess is via spores or bits of the foot that dont get blasted

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Arrghhh, not the answer I was hoping for.

It doesnt cause them to get worse does it?

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a little outbreak of them.. Bought 5 peppermint shrimp and within a week they were gone. I think you just need to buy more of those little suckers! They do a great job as long as they eat it. Maybe hold off on food, just put in little bits at a time throughout the day for the next week. So they have to go out and eat the aptasia! Good luck man and may the force be with you against reefers' worst enemy.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Peppermint shrimp.... They won't eat the big ones but will consume all the small ones.... For the big ones use aptasia-X...

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
You know where I can find any. None of my local shops carry it. Elite has a kalwallser paste they sell which works pretty good, but it ups my calcuim level so I have to use it in increments and Ive noticed by them time I can blast em again, the ones Ive killed before seem to be coming back.

I was thinking a combo of the aptasia laser and follow up with kalk paste on what Ive blasted with the laser

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You need to end up with a natural solution or they will always come back. You cannot kalk and laser the ones that you don't see which cause them to spread in the tank.

Peppermints are not all the same. You need to get them from the Florida Keys. Don't buy them locally unless the store is 100% certain that they got them from the keys directly... LA wholesaler is no good. Ask them, and if they don't know then don't buy them. Get them from reeftopia.com and be sure. I have some from there and if you drop in a rock with 10 aips on it, the shrimp will descend from the rocks and start to annhilate them in like 15 minutes.

The hit/miss phenomenon with peppermints can be traced back to where they were collected.

Lastly, once you don't see any more, don't get rid of your peppermints or copperband. What will eat the new ones once you do? They are not "gone," they are just "gone" from sight.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I picked up some peps from Aquamart about a month ago and they ate a few aiptasia with 1"-1 1/2" oral disc. They are good little worker bees.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I get mine from Elite, they say they are the correct type.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Ive gottn them form Elite previously for other tanks and they worked just fine. Its like anything else in this hobby, hit or miss.

Thought about adding another Kleini Butterfly, but i have SPS now and Id be worried it would go after my SPS. After the battle I had to get a tank ready for SPS Im not going to do anything to jepordize my sticks!

If I could find a CBB that was eating frozens I would grab one, I dont want to deal with training another finicky fish to eat frozens though. WOW, Im getting lazy in my old age!

Very irritating, I can erradicate ich from my tank with no medication, no QT and no losses of live stock, yet I cant win this battle. I guess Ill order some peps from Reeftopia

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a few pepperment u can have they cleaned out all of my aptasia so they r up for grabs if u like im in littleton

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Rumen;279686 said:
I have a few pepperment u can have they cleaned out all of my aptasia so they r up for grabs if u like im in littleton

That would be un incredibly awesome, you going to the meeting by chance?

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Whats Monday look like for you? I have to be in Castle Rock at noon and will also be meeting up with Chad at some time on the end of town, so Ill be on the side of the world on Monday

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm at work from nine till 7 ill bring it with me I'm not too far from chad...text me 9094386374

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Sounds good, let me try and cordinate with Chad since i know what your schedule looks like and Ill shoot you a text.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Liquid Kingdom got 300 of them in like a little over a week ago just to get rid of the aptasia in their tanks. They have them on sale for 2/$10 FYI.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Arrghhh, my least favorite LFS. I vowed never to spend $$ there, might have to suck it up, they are right up the street from me

Rumen

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;279693 said:
Sounds good, let me try and cordinate with Chad since i know what your schedule looks like and Ill shoot you a text.
Did u still want the shrimps???