WTS/WTT Mandarin Goby eating frozen food

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so I have a nice sized male Green Mandarin Goby that is eating frozen brine omega. I cycled my tank with dry rock and my tank is too new. I would like to sell or trade him to a tank that has alot of live rock and pods. I would trade him for a nice frag of Zoas or a colorful ricordia nothing green please. If not I will just sell him for $20. I don't want this guy to starve since I really have no pod population and frozen food will not sustain this guy for long it will just starve him a little longer I think. He is in my QT tank now so he will be an easy catch. I keep him in there to feed him frozen food because of the competion in my DT.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I bought a bottle of pods from Kris. It wasn't very expensive. You should try that and keep the little guy

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you decide you want to keep the mandy and get some pods let me know. One bottle will probably not do it though since the mandarin is already in your system. If this is for your 92gallon bowfront system then I would recommend at least 3 bottles but 4-6 would be better. Each bottle contains a average of 200 pods and thousands of rotifers. If you have a fuge one bottle should suffice for that. For the display I recommend 1 bottle per 25 gallons of water. Reason being you want the pods to multiply. I know it may sound silly but the larger the water volume the less likely the pods are going to be able to find each other to reproduce. The second problem you face is preditation. Your mandarin can wipe out a pod population in no time if not done properly.

To maximize reproduction here is what I would do. Build rock rubble mounds that no fish can get in but the pods can get in and out of. I would do 3-4 of them in your 92. Add the pods at night after about 2 hours of lights out. I would then target place each bottle close to the rubble areas.

Or you could just sell or trade the fish but in 6 months you know your going to want another Mandarin :)

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;97795 said:
If you decide you want to keep the mandy and get some pods let me know. One bottle will probably not do it though since the mandarin is already in your system. If this is for your 92gallon bowfront system then I would recommend at least 3 bottles but 4-6 would be better. Each bottle contains a average of 200 pods and thousands of rotifers. If you have a fuge one bottle should suffice for that. For the display I recommend 1 bottle per 25 gallons of water. Reason being you want the pods to multiply. I know it may sound silly but the larger the water volume the less likely the pods are going to be able to find each other to reproduce. The second problem you face is preditation. Your mandarin can wipe out a pod population in no time if not done properly.

To maximize reproduction here is what I would do. Build rock rubble mounds that no fish can get in but the pods can get in and out of. I would do 3-4 of them in your 92. Add the pods at night after about 2 hours of lights out. I would then target place each bottle close to the rubble areas.

Or you could just sell or trade the fish but in 6 months you know your going to want another Mandarin :)

I would LOVE to keep him! They are one of my most favorite fish and I don't want to see him suffer. He is in great shape and really active. But I can tell his stomach is starting to get a little pinched. Should I just add a ton of pods? He is in my 26 gallon QT setup all by himself. I did that so I can fatten him up without competition. I have a huge ball of chaeto in there now with him hoping he can get some pods off of that, plus I feed him frozen brine omega. How are the reef nutrition tigger pods? I do have a refugium as well.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Reef Nutrition, ie Reed Mariculture is a great company. However, IMO they are expensive. I have also seen their pod cultures and I can tell you that my cultures are much thicker. In their 6oz bottle you would be lucky to get 100pods, my cultures will be more than double the amount of pods. Also, copepods are only as nutritious as the food they eat. I have no idea what Reef Nutrition feeds their pod cultures, im sure its something good, but I know what my pods are feeding on. Nannochloropsis loaded rotifers. Granted this doesnt mean much after they are reproducing in your tank and most likely feeding off of detritus.

I will be going retail with my reefuel foods next week. Until then I have screaming deals on my cultures and I can tell you that my bottle of pods will have double the amount of pods for roughly half the price.

O and to answer your question, yes you can fatten him up on pods but you need to get enough so they are reproducing faster than they are eaten. in a 26 gallon qt tank I would guess he has already wiped out all the pods, the larger the volume he is in the better.

HoosierDaddy

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;97805 said:
Reef Nutrition, ie Reed Mariculture is a great company. However, IMO they are expensive. I have also seen their pod cultures and I can tell you that my cultures are much thicker. In their 6oz bottle you would be lucky to get 100pods, my cultures will be more than double the amount of pods. Also, copepods are only as nutritious as the food they eat. I have no idea what Reef Nutrition feeds their pod cultures, im sure its something good, but I know what my pods are feeding on. Nannochloropsis loaded rotifers. Granted this doesnt mean much after they are reproducing in your tank and most likely feeding off of detritus.

I will be going retail with my reefuel foods next week. Until then I have screaming deals on my cultures and I can tell you that my bottle of pods will have double the amount of pods for roughly half the price.

O and to answer your question, yes you can fatten him up on pods but you need to get enough so they are reproducing faster than they are eaten. in a 26 gallon qt tank I would guess he has already wiped out all the pods, the larger the volume he is in the better.

I would love to get some pods from you but you are so far away :). It would cost me that much extra in gas to go to Littleton LOL. So are you telling me your around how much $$$$$ per bottle? So should I put that Mandy in the DT even though there is not much in there but a few fish and about 80 lbs of branching rock? I would much rather keep this guy if I can.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Unless you can see pods in your QT (best to check at night with a red flashlight) there is a good chance the mandy has already wiped out the population in there. Either way if there are no pods in either tank it wont make a difference where he is at - you did say that he is eating frozen though, which I would keep him isolated for at least 2 weeks (and eating the frozen food) if you add pods to the display tank to give them a chance to start reproducing without preditation. I will PM you more info on price and shipping :)

jpc763

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will take him off your hands. I have a 125g that is 2+ years old. His only competition for pods would be a hawaiian flame wrasse.

I live in Fort Collins and could meet you Sunday. Let me know.

I don't have a lot to trade as I have had a coral die off occur in my tank over the past year but I do have $$$.

John