Zoa ID

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey all,

Anyone know what these are? Green outside with purple centers and then a green center spot. Had a plug with some on it that wasn't doing well towards the bottom of my tank so I moved it to my frag area and it has spread and is now growing on the frag holder. Guess I just need to scrape then off with a razor blade and stick them on a new plug. No experience fragging so any hints there would be great.

Thanks!

Adam View attachment 3766

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe purple people eaters?

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
could be jokers, though I'm not certain about the spot. This isn't a dbtc though :( (or is it)

Last edited by a moderator:

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh, I wouldn't be opposed to donating it for a DBTC if it's something people would want. I just didn't see a good place for an ID and figure this was probably a beginner zoa so why not post it here. Sorry if it was the wrong place. Next time I'll stick it in the prop forum.

Dracx

Cleaner Shrimp
fiji4118;129641 said:
Oh, I wouldn't be opposed to donating it for a DBTC if it's something people would want. I just didn't see a good place for an ID and figure this was probably a beginner zoa so why not post it here. Sorry if it was the wrong place. Next time I'll stick it in the prop forum.
Would love to get a frag if DBTC!

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
It looks like I have 10 or 11 polyps of this that I can DBTC. Not sure how many you typically give of zoas. Also, as noted earlier, I am not a fragger. Have never tried to frag anything in my tank so I don't want to kill these. Maybe whomever ends up taking the first batch can assist with getting them off the frag holder!

Dracx

Cleaner Shrimp
Depends on the kind of plug the frag is on. If it's a solid plug (plastic, glass, ceramic, etc) you'll need to cut the frag off of there first. If it's on a granulated plug, you can just break it up with angle-cutters or screwdriver. You can trade just the chunk of rock or you can glue it (superglue gel) to another frag or piece of coral rubble. Try to break it up between the polyps and use a sharp exacto blade between the stalks if needed to aid separation.

There are plenty of YouTube videos on the subject... some better than others.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
any cheapy dremel and one of these should tank care of most all your fragging needs outside of your tank

Metalsniper

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
From the picture it looks like to get it off the rack all you would need to do is cut around the base of the plug. In doing that you would probably cut off a few polyps that you could then glue to a new plug. Depending on where you live you could probably find close help.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
The picture is of the main plug. What I have to give are a group of about 10-11 that have grown on the actual frag holder that holds all of my frags. Just scrape them off with a razor and glue them to new plugs?

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, I am in Highlands Ranch. Not working right now so I am home most of the time.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
here are a few more pics. Any ideas on the ID? Common/rare? On the second picture the group I am fragging is towards the top. Sorry for the other coral in the photo. Probably could cut that off of the piece but I haven't bothered. You can have some of that if you want !!! LOL![attachment=60401:name]

Dracx

Cleaner Shrimp
Yes, just scrape carefully off the base. I'll be happy to have some of both zoas to grow out.