120w LED chines fixture GB

rangerbobb

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
It makes sense that PAR meters don't read blue light correctly. They were made to read white light, not blue. I am pretty sure I read that on RC before as well.

Blue light is more "energetic" and should pack a bigger punch in animals that utilize photosynthesis for life. What I find interesting is that some companies are using red LEDs in their fixtures. I read an article about red light inhibiting coral growth recently. I don't time right now to look, but will check later.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
I got the info directly from Dana Riddle.

""I can say with a high degree of certainty that red wavelengths are detrimental to zooxanthellae pigment content and health. Merely stating that one supplements blue wavelengths (or perhaps others) with red wavelengths raises a number of questions, to wit:
1. Amount of red wavelength supplementation. Exactly how much?Based on what? PAR measurements? (fraught with a high degree of error with inexpensive PAR meters, that is, Apogee meters). Analyses of spectral quality via spectrometer?
2. Length of exposure. Polyp expansion is generally greater during the first few days of exposure to red light. Zooxanthellae have not yet 'realized' that exposure to red light is not a good thing. Generally, the ratio of red light-absorbing pigments is quite high in environments where violet/blue wavelengths are predominant. When exposed to high amounts of red light, the coral (via feedback loop from its symbionts) recognizes red light as a good thing. However, since the photopigments are ramped up to absorb red light, the situation becomes one of too much of a good thing.
3. Understanding of the dia/dino xanthophyll cycle. Dynamic photoinhibition involves certain xanthophylls. These photopigments absorb only blue blue and shunt the absorbed energy away from photosystems. This natural 'pressure relief' valve for photosynthesis works only with blue wavelengths - and why shouldn't it? Corals/zooxanthellae are normally and naturally exposed to those wavelengths skewed towards violet/blue/blue-green wavelengths.

Dr. Kinzie published his experiments with red light and zooxanthellae in the late 20th century. He realized red light was a regulating mechanism for either the number of zooxanthellae and/or the content of their photopigments (chlorophlly a, c2, peridinin, etc.). In laymen's terms, this regulation is referred to 'bleaching'. Jokiel was a co-author and or reviewer of Kinzie's work. When I discussed this with him recently and within the context of our understanding of chronic/dynamic photoinhibition, he was quite excited by this new perspective. In addition, other peer-reviewed works have confirmed coral growth is greatest when corals are maintained in conditions of deficient (natural) amounts of red light."

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
We should do a contest. Person to guess the day these lights make it to us wins something. I could put up a frag of common zoas to the winner... lol

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
Heh

Well they should be built by Friday. Give a day to put in mail.. I say chris gets them on the 4th.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;88563 said:
We should do a contest. Person to guess the day these lights make it to us wins something. I could put up a frag of common zoas to the winner... lol
Im in i say they should be here by the 2nd and have a frag of tubss birds nest for the winner!

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I say the 6th...

I say just the people who ordered the lights with us can be a winner... hehe

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
I'd toss a frag if I had one. I'll toss an IOU frag. But it won't matter cuz immagunawin(Mario voice).

Closest date wins?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes closest date wins...

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
wirick181;88743 said:
i say 4-26
next week huh? Do you know something we don't? hahahaha

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
wirick181;88743 said:
i say 4-26
How's the 26th looking? They give you any updates?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So it looks like we will be getting our lights in the next few days (sweet), if they get to Chirs's before Friday I will gladly pick them up on Friday for all the peeps on this side of town (if you like). That is if Chris will be around on Friday. That way we won't all have to drive to Evans and seeing I am jobless, I have the extra time.

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
KhensuRa;89757 said:
So it looks like we will be getting our lights in the next few days (sweet), if they get to Chirs's before Friday I will gladly pick them up on Friday for all the peeps on this side of town (if you like). That is if Chris will be around on Friday. That way we won't all have to drive to Evans and seeing I am jobless, I have the extra time.
Cool. Depending on the day we could road trip it lol. Or I have to make it up to wickeds soon too