72 Gallon Bow front for a newbie?

Hello Everyone,

I've been threatening to start this hobby for awhile. I found this tank near me for $1500. It seemed to be everything I was looking for right out of the gate. Do you think it's a good deal and do you think I can move it and set up without having the tank crash.

Thanks for all of your help.

Jamie

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What in the stand? Skimmer? Return pump? Lighting find out how old everything is what type of slimmer what type of return pump. Does it have an ro/di with it? 1500 seems really pricey.

Here's the info:

EQUIPMENT:
- 72 gallon bow tank with glass hood
- Tank Stand
- 25 gallon refugium with 4 inches live sand and extra live rock
- Berlin protein skimmer
- 2x150 watt metal halide fixture with 20k lights
- Digital thermometer
- 2 powerheads
- Bucket of Red Sea salt
- Bag of Aragonite sand
- Lots of miscellaneous chemicals/additives
- Food
- Other miscellaneous supplies used for water changes, etc.

WHAT'S INSIDE THE TANK:
- ~ 100lbs live rock
- ~ 70lbs live sand
- 2 rose bubble tip anemone
- 2 candy cane (s). One with MANY, MANY heads, other with about 10 heads
- Purple mushroom
- duncan coral with about 20 heads
- 2 large Lord acan (s) that are rapidly growing
- 1 pink acan
- 3 cabbage / leather coral
- colony of hairy mushroom
- 1 toadstool
- 1 green open brain
- 2 frog spawn
- colony of brown button polyps
- colony of green star polyps
- 3 green chromis
- tuxedo urchin
- blue dottyback
- scooter blenny
- hawaiian feather duster
- several colonies of yellow polyps
- sponges
- lots and lots of snails and crabs and starfish
- tons of purple coraline

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea not worth 1500 in my opinion. Honestly I wouldnt buy it for 600$

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Same... Not worth near $1000 even. And remember unless he can prove the bulbs are new with receipts, expect to replace those. I always replace heaters too... They go out a lot.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Agreed, I know the guy prob has that in to it.... but this hobby sucks for resale :)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol no. This hobby does suck for resale. The green, brown, and yellow colonial polyps, and gsp are not something special. I get the sentimental attachment of growing stuff out from frags, but those aren't worth much.

If you like softies, then I guess half of the coral are sweet (I don't though). With those 2 MH you can grow way cooler coral with tons more color, after all, isn't this why we choose to grow coral anyways.

I don't like the dottyback, but that's just for the behavioral issues they CAN cause.

Berlin skimmer isn't saying much either, just how it works.

Are there any pests on the rock?

I'd pay around $300-400 for that tank.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Personally I wouldn't spend that.much and risk killing everything off. I'm fairly new and there is a steep learning curve at least for me. And have had some live stock not make it.

I'm Matt
SE Aurora

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ya I would wait you could buy a fully stocked 180+ for that price. Dont worry we are turning the corner and tanks are coming back at good prices on craigslist. Watch the deal of the day close on the site here and be ready to buy when you see the one you want.

I've seen "deals" on here and Craigslist for equipment. I'm more into coral then fish for now. I did like the thought of buying an established tank and then added on to it after I gain more knowledge about the hobby.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would personally start with a tank and stand that you could get for cheap here or Craigslist. Actually Majicmike has a sweet 75 with a sump for a killer deal! Then you can research and buy the exact equipment that you want and will work for you. Set up slowly and get a nice healthy cycle on the tank. It's requires a ton of patience to be successful in this hobby! But it's is awesome and a very rewarding hobby when things go well!!