Best tank build ever!

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So i watch a lot of DIY network and they have this show called "Blog Cabin.". What they do is have a vote on everything that goes into the cabin build. So why not take this idea to a tank. We take votes on the size, shape, live rock design, coral/fish stock, ect... The only thing is it would cost a lot of cash, so would have to be stocked with DBTC everything! Also one needy and thankful place to call home (I.e. School, hospital, you get the idea). Plus its a great place to spread the wealth of our collective minds, spread the name of the site, and give back for a good cause. Please share your ideas, and thoughts. I've got some equipment I'm willing o start it with.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you saying that we choose a place we think deserves a tank and then try and get everything together for it and vote on everything?? Sounds cool.

Some of the problems I see though since we probably wouldn't be going to be buying new stuff is that we may end up not being able to vote on some things if we don't have more than 1 item donated. Such as lighting, if only one person donates something than we aren't really voting on anything, we're just kind of scrounging everything together?

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;106775 said:
Are you saying that we choose a place we think deserves a tank and then try and get everything together for it and vote on everything?? Sounds cool.

Some of the problems I see though since we probably wouldn't be going to be buying new stuff is that we may end up not being able to vote on some things if we don't have more than 1 item donated. Such as lighting, if only one person donates something than we aren't really voting on anything, we're just kind of scrounging everything together?
what about a fund raiser?

MattL

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Fund raiser would be a good idea because there is still food, water changes, ect. Maybe some sponcers would want to pitch in, or an auction? My niece was in the Childrens Hospital and kids and patents love fish tanks, so think of where a spot could be. Plus i agree on the voting process, if you are willing to give a clean coral or rock then why not? Lets all brain storm this one, its a great way to give back.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am liking this idea as well... Question would us members volunteer to maintain the tank as well?

I dig the Children's Hospital idea...

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
what if over the next several months we had some people to make donations of used equipment that would be raffelled off at our meetings and the monies raised could go to voting on what items to buy for the tank.

for example i have a 250 watt MH that could be used as a raffle item and a couple frags

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
KhensuRa;106809 said:
I am liking this idea as well... Question would us members volunteer to maintain the tank as well?

I dig the Children's Hospital idea...
as a club we have a few maintenance companies as members maybe they might help out.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Love the idea, but what I would recommend for a public facility would be different than the personal aquarium, or even an aquarium at a business. I would think a FOWLR or even a FW would be better in a public facility. There is much less maintenance in those setups than a reef. You also need to be concerned about the power usage and what sort of drain that would be on the budget.

Doing this for a business that is wanting a reef display tank and that has a small budget to build it and understands the ongoing costs involved, could be a better choice for location.

jgonzz

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
othercents;106814 said:
Love the idea, but what I would recommend for a public facility would be different than the personal aquarium, or even an aquarium at a business. I would think a FOWLR or even a FW would be better in a public facility. There is much less maintenance in those setups than a reef. You also need to be concerned about the power usage and what sort of drain that would be on the budget.

Doing this for a business that is wanting a reef display tank and that has a small budget to build it and understands the ongoing costs involved, could be a better choice for location.
+1
they also would need it maintained, I mean you can't just set a tank up somewhere and expect it to maintain its self

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Why not just continue to support the aquarium at Columbine High School? The person who maintains the aquarium there is a member (Rebel) here on MASC. Jason (Rebel) got a lot of support in the beginning but it is over 10 years old now and he is stuck maintaining and footing most the bill for the aquarium. I know he enjoys it very much and I think we should help him.

For those who don't know, Jason is a English teacher at Columbine High School. The worst part of the Columbine shooting happened in the library. After the shooting neither students nor teachers wanted to be in the library anymore. Jason wanted to help people feel comfortable in the library so he started researching reef aquariums on Reef Central. Word got out who he was and what he was trying to do so the donations started pouring in. To this day he does get very limited help from the original sponsors but like I previously said he foots most of the bill himself. For those who have not seen the tank it is truly amazing and inspirational.

The reasons I suggest going this route is because there is already someone there with knowledge maintaining it and Columbine deserves our help. Jason does his best to maintain Columbines system but I know some help from MASC would go a long way.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Kris I did not know the full story of that tank. Thank you and Plus a million on helping more with that tank...

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
yep great idea Kris. Even with my limited experience the only way I see this working is with someone who has easy and convenient access as well as a working knowledge of salt water systems, like Rebel to maintain.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
What about flatirons church? They get 17-20,000 people per week end, plenty of people to look at it. I also think this would be a good way to educate people about our hobby and the ocean. We could make plaques that explain what each pice of equipment does, and what each fish/coral species is.

How about the South Denver Mosque? Or the Baha'i Temple? Maybe the Buddhist temple down at Sakura Square? Or the LDS temple in Denver?

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sure, if a tone of people can see it

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
His point is we should probably not setup in a place of worship, regardless of the religion. This club should not have any ties to religion, politics or anything potentially controversial. Even so, who is going to maintain the tank with your suggestion?