dvenson;106776 said:
i like this idea

oh and it can be kept at my house :)
UMMMMM No you would just sell it.................. hehehehe

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;106834 said:
His point is we should probably not setup in a place of worship, regardless of the religion. This club should not have any ties to religion, politics or anything potentially controversial. Even so, who is going to maintain the tank with your suggestion?
+1

The Columbine High School sounds like the best idea. I mean Childrens Hospital would be the perfect scenario. The problem with it is the on going cost, salt water etc etc. I don't think that is a bill the club wants or need to try and keep up with. Its not like you can have it there for the kids then the club run out of funds or donations to keep it running. Plus like already stated the maintenance who is going to go and do the weekly up keep? I think the idea is GREAT and it would be awesome to do but there are tons of logistics involved. Logistics that I think are more than the club or the members are willing to continue doing for ever. All of the rambling above are just my opinion and hell I don't even have a badge.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like the High School idea. We could talk to our sponsors about starting a school assistance program. I am sure they could use more like Mckibb spending their allowance on reefs.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very cool idea, either chipping in and helping out the school with theirs or doing a complete tank at a hospital.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;106834 said:
His point is we should probably not setup in a place of worship, regardless of the religion. This club should not have any ties to religion, politics or anything potentially controversial. Even so, who is going to maintain the tank with your suggestion?
No affiliations or ties to "anything potentially controversial"?? Why don't we all just stick our heads in the sand and not put out what and who we are and where we come from as a whole?!? Isn't that what diversity boils down to?? I COMLETELY agree with not sticking to ONE religion, political party, media outlet, etc!! BUT, I don't agree with avoiding anything that members within the "whole" might be personally associated with and not allowing the "club" to associate as well. (Unless it is a known criminal or hate group of course) Just my .02 as I'm not a badge wearing member but only a "participant"!! ;)

I go to that church on occasion and would gladly assist with the upkeep. I would also gladly assist with upkeep at ANY other location in my area of town. I just don't understand political correctness and typically won't keep my mouth shut when it rears it's head. ;)

BTW....nothing directed toward DJKMS....just giving my opinion, not that it's worth more than .02 :wall:

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This idea as a whole sounds like an awesome idea, and I would be happy to get involved somehow. Columbine sounds like a great spot, but I think that gets away from where this idea started as they already have a tank. I definitely think the club should find a way to get back involved in that one either way.

As for the idea of a hospital, I really like it. We could have control over equipment and stocking from the start. I think if we were to approach a large hospital to set up and stock a tank for free, they would be happy to go through a recommended maintenance company for further upkeep. I think a lot of them probably consider having a tank in their waiting room, but shy away when they start trying to figure out how to make that happen. Us handling the first big steps might make all the difference.

No matter which way we go, I'll definitely get behind a fund raising effort for it.

Just to clarify, I say all this as mikejrice, not as Elite Reef lol.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am thinking boogie has a tank............... :)

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
I think that helping the existing Colimbine tank is a great idea, but I also think that the original idea could be acted on also. How about a public library?

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If this does fold out I first off think that we should have a voting thread of where to put the tank

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
Great idea, maybe we should start with a voting thread to find out how much support there actually is for this project. Then work on location.
This could be a good thing to ask at the next MASC meeting.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright everyone lol I have some opinions just from working at a hospital. The hospital I worked at was not at all interested in switching from Fresh to Saltwater, even if the equipment was free, just because of the further upkeep that saltwater tanks are. IMO from working at one for MANY years, it's going to be VERY hard to set up a tank in a hospital, just have to go through so many people just to even pitch the idea of a tank, much less a saltwater tank.

I personally, of course we should/can vote, think that MASC as a whole should stay away from politics, religion, etc just because we don't want to involve ourselves in ANY more contreversy than we need to, even if we think it won't happen, something can ALWAYS happen, and we want to avoid those moments as much as possible.

I also approached Rebel from Columbine and asked if he would be the first school to participate in a new program that we wanted to start that was titled "tanks for teachers." In short, the program would see all of the people who help with the tank show us all of their progress. If they do a water change, what do they observe, what do they learn. What are the parameters of the tank, in case of a problem later, we can see trends. ETC!! They would basically fill us in on everything they do/see in the tank. It would also give them the opportunity to seek better equipment, and give us the opportunity to try and support them with info, and product (where we can). It didn't seem like there was much interest in this here, (it's more popular on the west coast) so it never took off.

My two cents

I am new to this forum so let me know when I am out of line. Seems like Matt L had a great idea but it is not going anywhere. It sounds like Columbine has a tank so let's go elsewhere. Fish only? Great idea. No churches? Then how about an elementary school? This is a perfect idea to educate students who may never see an ocean. So how do we get this going? Will someone sell a tank for cost? I have seen some deals on craigslist and would be willing to support MattL s idea with $100. Any takers?

This sounds like a great idea but I don't think it will be in a year from now after being set up. Regular maintenance for a reef tank is once a week. The only way it can work in the long run is if some one like rouge always there able to maintain it. and feed the fish all the time. I think time and donations could be better spent on something other then a place that has to be convinced they even want a free tank.

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The head of the science department at my school (I think this year he's changing to something else) wants to put up a tank in our library. I don't know if he's still interested, but school starts in a week so I'll ask him then if you guys want. We are a K-12 charter school called Peak To Peak.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think we will ever have a problem finding a place that wants a free fish tank. The problem on their end is going to be who will be taking care of it. Does the location care if the electricity goes up, the water?? Who will pay for food, medications, salt, fish, weekly maintenance etc. The problem on our end is finding someone to front all the stuff at the beginning for free or at cost. If its at cost who will pay??

There's IMO to many logistics just to rush into a decision like this.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't think we will ever have a problem finding a place that wants a free fish tank. The problem on their end is going to be who will be taking care of it. Does the location care if the electricity goes up, the water?? Who will pay for food, medications, salt, fish, weekly maintenance etc. The problem on our end is finding someone to front all the stuff at the beginning for free or at cost. If its at cost who will pay??

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes yes yes

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
hurrafreak;107494 said:

Exactly why Columbine is the best option IMO.