Coral Bank

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
And maybe we only allow certain #'s in the bank. So for example, only a limit of 3 in the bank of a certain frag, so not to flood the bank with un-wanted corals.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I initially thought only get out what you put in, but thinking this is a way for people to grow their collection. Say we have a reefer, than never experiences a crash, EVER. What's in it for them? Sure, they have the bank if needed, but why not let their ability to contribute, allow then to grow their collection?

I not opposed to either idea... just want to keep options on the table. Once we have all the ideas out there, we'll need to make some decisions on how to proceed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vdubjetta01

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I like the sound of your idea. But wouldn't it need to be exactly like a DBTC where I would give off 2 of my favorite corals to 2 seperate ppl (incase the slim chances of yours and mine crashing) to keep the hope alive to get my coral back. With having a list og exactly who to get a hold of in the instance that my coral died would make that a lot easier.

Or that we all list what we have that is ready to be fragged and post that up that we have ex:green birdsnest in the event of someone whom loses a green birdsnest? Also I don't know of a way anyone would take advantage of that either.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Any maybe you have either option when you opt into the Bank? It's kinda like the music sharing. Should you only get a copy of what you bought? Or can I trade you three of my George Michaels for 1 Run DMC track?

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think there is going to be grow out if the corals so depending how many systems these go in that way no one gets screwed. I am willing to donate a piece of anything I have and even pay a small fee to join the bank.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Vdubjetta01;296606 said:
I like the sound of your idea. But wouldn't it need to be exactly like a DBTC where I would give off 2 of my favorite corals to 2 seperate ppl (incase the slim chances of yours and mine crashing) to keep the hope alive to get my coral back. With having a list og exactly who to get a hold of in the instance that my coral died would make that a lot easier.

Or that we all list what we have that is ready to be fragged and post that up that we have ex:green birdsnest in the event of someone whom loses a green birdsnest? Also I don't know of a way anyone would take advantage of that either.
Yup, just like DBTC, more process around it.

But again, thinking outloud, might be able to extend the idea, and get more sharing of corals if the process was defined. Most people don't have the time to do this on their own... If we can put process around it, and make it simple for everyone to use, it might work?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a frag tank of coral I could DBTC tomorrow, chances are a lot of it would disappear, and likely never get back around. I'd be more willing to blindy give it away if I knew there was some controlled means of getting it back if I crashed.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;296611 said:
I may not be able to join now but I love the idea. So are you talking you have 3 different essentially Fort knox tanks of frags?

That's one option. Another is, we have 50 individual tanks, our current systems. And we put the mechanism to track deposits and withdrawls as needed.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm still developing thought but need to think about what happens when someone falls off the planet with a bank of corals or decides to quit the hobby or leave the club (let's face it no everyone is a lifer) also is this a members only deal or open for everyone?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;296615 said:
I'm still developing thought but need to think about what happens when someone falls off the planet with a bank of corals or decides to quit the hobby or leave the club (let's face it no everyone is a lifer) also is this a members only deal or open for everyone?

I think that's where credits and debits come into play. You can only take if you've put something in. Now we have to figure out if it's possible to take out something you didn't put in. Back to my I put in 3 zoas, that someone takes. I can then get those 3 if ever needed, OR I can give those up for something I don't have maybe? I give up 3 to get 1, or some ratio we deem fit.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If someone leaves the program, they couldn't have taken more than they put in. Now, I'm assuming we all prime the bank, say with 1 frag. If one member crashed, do we allow them to only pull 1 frag back? Is there special circumstances for a full tank crash? Maybe?

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Doesn't the grow out fix that. I mean stuff will grow. That allows to grow the base of people like I said a random draw as stuff is ready for giving out and adds to more tanks or is this not a good idea

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
And nobody it actually providing a frag unless its required in my mind. Say I "deposit" 1 frag of Sunny D's. When someone crashed that needs to withdraw it, it's my job to cut that frag and make it available. If I don't, then I don't get credit for the deposit.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Andrew_bram;296620 said:
Doesn't the grow out fix that. I mean stuff will grow. That allows to grow the base of people like I said a random draw as stuff is ready for giving out and adds to more tanks or is this not a good idea

Sure the grow helps, for example, we flooded the market with the rainbows, we'll likely not have an issue anytime soon replenishing those if ever needed. In my mind this is just a managed mechanism to share frags among bank members.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
What about if we just create program where someone chimes in saying hey I have you have 2 completely healed frags of the same type to add to the the program. Then 1 person chimes in and says hey i got this or this i would like to trade you as a back up.

Then for every 2 frags you contribute of the same type you get two frags of a different type from that 1 person. One to incubate and grow as a back up for them. The second being yours to keep for yourself to grow/add to your own collection.

So you could say have 4 of the same frags and then 2 people would be back ups.

Then you would do this for each frag you want to add to the program.

Then everyone has to contribute to not only get a back up for your own coral but to also expand your library.
Obviously then all the transactions could be recorded on spread sheet (Google docs is great for this) but also publicly displayed in the thread so you know who has the frag.

Last edited by a moderator: