Drilling a tank

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
We used a thick piece of styrofoam as a guide so you can push straight down on the glass, not a lot of pressure though. Just enough to get the cut going then used plumbers putty to make the dam to hold the water and continued drilling. We also tapped the back side of the cut so it didn't fall through and chip the glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also remember when you align your over flow try to make it so the water line is above the brace for a cleaner look.

neil82

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Texco;n663167 said:
I ordered a 3/4" and a 1" bulkhead sized drill bit from glass-holes. Any tips or suggestions from those that have drilled before? Someone that has done it would you potentially want to help me do it or am I telling myself it is harder then it is?
The job is really not very difficult. I would watch a couple youtube videos to get a feel for the technique. I kind of cheat by taking a 1" thick piece of rigid foam insulation and cutting through it with your hole saw. Then you can set the piece of foam with the hole on the tank and use it as a guide to start drilling the hole. It will keep the hole saw steady and in place while you get the hole started. Once there is a nice groove in the glass, you can remove it, add plumbers putty dam, and add water to cool the bit and then keep going.

Hey everyone, thanks for all the feedback. I will be going with the 1" foam 'template' idea, so I am assuming this does not require it to be at 45 degrees at any time, just go straight down on it nice and gently and let the bit do the work?

As far as hole placement, it is a rimless AquaMaxx 48.2 Gallon, is there a minimum heigth from the top that I should drill the overflow hole? I want to drill two holes so that I can have an emergency overflow as well.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes just left the bit do the work. However once you get a groove cut in the glass take the foam off and do the dam with the putty so it doesn't burn out the bit. I have a 60 gal rimless cube corner over flow and the water height is almost 2" from top