Getting back in-SUS' 100 Gallon Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
When I got out of the hobby back in 2010, I always knew I'd be back. When my wife and I decided to remodel the lower level of our house, I figured it was the perfect time to plan/build around my next tank. The remodel started back in early 2015 (which is still not completely done!) and involved essentially gutting everything, adding a wetbar, and of course a built in reef tank in the family room. Shortly after the remodel began, we found out we were pregnant with our first child. So to complicate things, we also had to gut a bedroom upstairs to convert into a nursery. So here we are some 20 months later and I feel like I'm finally close enough to start this build thread to share with you all and hopefully get some advice (wow how things have changed in 6 years).

Setup Details:
Tank: 100 Gallon Planet Aquariums - 60x24x18 - Rimless, Starfire, external overflow, and pvc bottom
Sump: Elite Aquatics RS40 Sump
Lighting: 48" Geissman Spectra

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, clearly I am missing something as I just typed out a bunch more and added some pics and all it posted was the above post #3?

SUS;n662339 said:
Well, clearly I am missing something as I just typed out a bunch more and added some pics and all it posted was the above post #3?
Welcome back.
Its not you, its the site. I get a lot of errors too that sometimes I stop posting because I don't want to be mad.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good to know. It is quite frustrating to spend the time writing something out, linking pictures, etc... then it doesn't post!

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was able to post all my stuff through tap talk. I copied all of the txt, emailed to my self and pasted through tap talk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Haha :welcome: back
Its not you, it's the board that doesnt like pasted text and its very weird about big blocks of text. We have been looking at it but not sure why it does that.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, let's try this again (now using tapatalk)

This is the start of my stand. The tank backs to the stairs where I will have my RODI and various other equipment stored.

Here is the stand all framed up and interior skinned

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
For the skin of the stand. I used IKEA doors (4 doors + 8 more ripped to create the face)

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Very nice looking stand. I love all the room behind the stand.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
The goal for this tank is modern, clean, minimalist look. It will be primarily, if not all, SPS. I plan to have a lot of small fish and just a few larger ones.
for the stand top, I used a GRFC sprayed concrete mix which will match the wet bar (still need to do...) you basically form it out of melamine, spray a face coat, then pack in a thicker backer coat. Once finished the concrete requires no sanding or polishing Just a few coats of sealer and it's good to go!

Top formwork. The void is for the tank. I didn't want all the weight from the tank sitting on the concrete. Also, this allows the tank to sit down in the top to hide the bottom of the tank (where the glass meets the pvc)
​​​​​​​

Here is the top after stripping the forms

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
While working on the top, I also started on the wall behind the tank. I ordered some 3D wall panels online and glued them up.

Then painted them green to give the room a little pop. Concrete top also installed.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
And after over a year of looking at the tank wrapped in bubble wrap, I finally got it set in its final resting place

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have also been working out in my garage where I built a stand and workbench to store my RODI and salt water. The two 45 gallon reservoirs will be plumbed together and through the wall (where the blue tape is) and drop down right under the stairs. I plan to have a 15-20 gallon reservoir under the stand (still need to buy if anyone has any ideas). I plan to have a DOS mounted in the garage (?) that will pump water (only about 10ft horizontally and 6ft down) directly to the sump for auto water changes.

SUS

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh, and last week my Pukani rock was delivered from BRS. I ordered 70lbs and asked for "larger pieces". They did not disappoint. 70 lbs equated to (4) huge rocks (3 of them pictured here). Not sold on the aquascape yet, just playing around. I plan to cure this over the next several months in a spare sump using lanthanum chloride (thanks TKERacer for the extensive right up on RC, I'm sure I'll have questions!)

Status
Not open for further replies.