HELP…newbie finishing up my first build!!

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Wow! Now I can see why you wanted to build both tanks into the same system. Thats gonna be really nice. what an awesome living room to kick it in when all is said and done. Looking forward to it.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ruc_dog;115431 said:
Hay looks good I might be able to help a little sat? Let me know time and place or give me a call 3038423852! My build is on hold but just finished my plumbing if anything I'll just give ya my input!
Thanks for the offer! I'll send you a PM or call you here after awhile. Finishing up my rock renewal project, may have run into a problem. :( Did you plumb your tank to a basement as well?? Disregard, I just realized I've seen your build thread...through the wall...nice! ;)

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
miwoodar;115436 said:
I wish I could be there to put some names to faces and help but this weekend is packed for me. Good luck!

Drilling acrylic is a piece of cake BTW. Standard hole saws will suffice. (http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hard...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053).

That's Jon's old sump, eh?
Thanks for the heads up on the drill bits. I'm a bit too nervous to try it myself on this tank for the first try. It's brand new. If it would have been a used tank, a bit cheaper...maybe. ;) No worries about helping. I'll get to put some names to faces as well as time goes on.

kalgra;115438 said:
I believe that is Jon's old sump. You know its him you have to blame for me pestering you with so many emails a few years back he was the one that gave me your email address. Have known Jon for a long time we were old Audi buddies together.
YUP...it's Jon's old sump/refug. I got some other things from him when he was breaking it all down. :( I was planning on getting a stock tank the next day until I saw he had exactly what I was looking for, and was getting rid of it no less. Great idea to mount the refug on top of the trough. Makes it nice and tidy.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
othercents;115441 said:
I wish I could come, but we already have plans to shop for a house this weekend.

No worries, it's the thought that counts mostly. ;) Good luck on the house hunting!! BUYER'S market...wish I was in it to buy.

I wanted to check to see if you spoke with a structural engineer about the weight of the tanks? I'm almost certain that the FOWLR will need extra support in the basement. The 110G might be fine because it looks like it is beside a weight bearing wall and probably sitting across 3 beams. The FOWLER on the other hand looks like it will be sitting on 2 beams (if your lucky) and running out to the middle of the beam. There is probably metal beam running from where the support wall ends under the 110G to the other end of the house (probably the kitchen) which is the other side of the beams the FOWLR will sit on. These beams need to be reinforced.

You should check this before you start filling the tanks with water.

BTW. The way the beams run is just speculation based on the pictures you gave us. It is possible that there is a metal support beam under where you are placing the FOWLR which would be more than enough to hold the weight of the FOWLR, but then the 110 would be next to a support wall with half it's weight in the middle of a beam and should be reinforced.

David
I'll have to throw up some photo's that show the flooring to see what you all think. I already have one steel joist brace to place under the FOWLR. The reef should be good to go. You're right on the load bearing wall. There is already a joist brace just to the left of where the reef tank will sit and I think there is a steel beam there as well. I'll have to check when I shoot a couple photos.

I'm wondering if I might need yet another joist brace for the FOWLR just to be safe. I'm gonna go check the basement in a minute. Thanks for lookin' out for me!

Yeah just let me know. Plumbing is not hard but you u need to plan it all out and overbuild. with drilling I would not worry to much I cut 8 holes twice (my bad) in glass and it was all hype on how hard it was so acrylic cannot be that hard! The only thing i worry about is your distance and what your pumps will push up that high.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ruc_dog;115525 said:
Yeah just let me know. Plumbing is not hard but you u need to plan it all out and overbuild. with drilling I would not worry to much I cut 8 holes twice (my bad) in glass and it was all hype on how hard it was so acrylic cannot be that hard! The only thing i worry about is your distance and what your pumps will push up that high.
I'll PM you in a minute since I lost track of time with the rock issue. Distance shouldn't be too far. I have two Reeflow Hammerheads which are rated somewhere around 6000gph I think. I also have a GenX 70 for a back up. I was actually hoping to only run one if possible. That'll depend on the build I guess.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ruc_dog makes a point though. You need to figure out what your head pressure is going to be and consider how much flow you want coming out of the tank returns. Just because the pump is rated for 6000gph it does not mean that's what it will really move if you have a considerable distance to be plumbed. The hammer head is rated at shutoff at 24' of vertical head. So you'll probably be fine if the sump is directly below the display but pending additional elbow bends and whatever little head pressure you get from horizontal length they may not enough.

Use this calculator. I know I know it's RC but it's a good tool. I have played with it many times. This should help you dictate how you will run the plumbing.
http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dosnt look like reeflo was around when this calculator was created so for pump you may just have to do some research on some of the pumps listed and use one with similar specs. It won't be perfect but should put you in the ball park.

bsharpe

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
MTS;114426 said:
Personally I'd run the 2 separate if you have the means. The reef needs more of a life support system (the refugium especially) and tying them together means if something goes foul with parameters it will pollute both tanks! Plus your reef will need more specific parameters typically with a higher salinity, more stable alk and calcium levels and lower nutrient levels. The fowlr will be producing higher nitrates etc and it is double the water volume of your reef. Much safer imo to run separate systems when possible, all my coral flats are set up this way. Rather loose one than all 3!
This makes a lot of sense to me. At the Denver aquarium almost all of the exhibits are on separate systems to avoid cross contamination, and of course different parameters. I would be afraid of losing all of it.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;115554 said:
I'll PM you in a minute since I lost track of time with the rock issue. Distance shouldn't be too far. I have two Reeflow Hammerheads which are rated somewhere around 6000gph I think. I also have a GenX 70 for a back up. I was actually hoping to only run one if possible. That'll depend on the build I guess.
If you already have two pumps then I would suggest placing them under there respective tanks and place valves and disconnects before and after the pumps. Will save you time later if you ever want to split the sump and it will allow you to disconnect the pumps for servicing.

Note head pressure starts once the pipe starts to make the vertical climb. If you run the pipe from the pump parallel to the floor then make a 90 degree turn to go to the tank you only need to calculate head pressure at the 90 and above plus any other turns you made. Also the head pressure doesn't double when you run two vertical pipes and the resistance actually goes down.

dworkman

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ShelbyJK500;115554 said:
I run a basement sump for my 135 gal display and 90 gal frag tank with one Barracuda. I would think 2 Hammerheads would be overkill. Just remember everything you pump up will have to come back down and through your fuge. I have a 75 gal stock tank for a sump that takes the returns, and a 65 gal fuge. I wouldn't want much more water going through the fuge than I have. It's too expensive and messy to push so much water down and back up when you don't need that much for good bio filtration and Vortechs are so efficient and create better flow in the tank.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
dworkman;115665 said:
I run a basement sump for my 135 gal display and 90 gal frag tank with one Barracuda. I would think 2 Hammerheads would be overkill. Just remember everything you pump up will have to come back down and through your fuge. I have a 75 gal stock tank for a sump that takes the returns, and a 65 gal fuge. I wouldn't want much more water going through the fuge than I have. It's too expensive and messy to push so much water down and back up when you don't need that much for good bio filtration and Vortechs are so efficient and create better flow in the tank.
Thanks for the input!! Good to know about the Reeflo's. Are you pushing water up to another level for both tanks, or is your frag tank in the basement? I'll be pushing vertical to both tanks...unless I were to go vertical to the flooring and T there to each tank. Just wasn't sure if a single Hammerhead would do the trick. I can decrease flow to the FOWLR if needed as it won't need as much flow as the reef.

What size drain's are you running? Size returns? I was planning on 1 1/2" drains and 1 1/2" returns (reduced at the tank for more pressure? Any feedback would be appreciated, I need to get the pvc purchased.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
HUGE props to ruc_dog for coming out today and getting some fire lit under my arse. I definitely just needed some guidance on plumbing and setup. (Just have to figure out that d@mn skimmer) I think I got more than I bargained for though, with some ideas for incorporating my FOWLR more into an actual room divider incorporating the half wall in my kitchen, into my stand. We'll see...whee's are turning.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ruc_dog;117926 said:
U get the rest of ur stuff plumbed and stand built?
Gettin' close bro!! I got the stand framed in...just a few adjustments left. I'm about 1/4" off to one side. I'd rather not use shims, but might just to save on time and re-doing some of it. OR, I may just take the time to re-do what's needed. I'll send you a couple pics when I get a chance. Gotta get a build thread started as well. All I have left is drilling the holes on the FOWLR and hooking up the plumbing. I'd ask to enlist your help this Thursday before I go on a vacation of sorts...but I don't think you'll be available. I just wanna get this thing rolling with some water already! (I did fill up the FOWLR though to make sure everything was good) ;)

How's your build coming along? Any new equipment additions??

Cool deff want to see some pics if you are only a 1/4 off get a sheet of plywood and if u are on the carpet it might drop a little more when u add water. My build is 99% done on the plumbing water in the tank and working well. Having 2 drains is nice I can dial one in and not hear anything I have a couple of things to fix when I drain it bit other then that I just need to buy a skimmer and build my canopy then I'll be about ready for setup in the tank.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
ruc_dog;118015 said:
Cool deff want to see some pics if you are only a 1/4 off get a sheet of plywood and if u are on the carpet it might drop a little more when u add water. My build is 99% done on the plumbing water in the tank and working well. Having 2 drains is nice I can dial one in and not hear anything I have a couple of things to fix when I drain it bit other then that I just need to buy a skimmer and build my canopy then I'll be about ready for setup in the tank.
Very cool!! Didn't realize you were get so far along, much quicker than me. ;) Yeah, I actually overcompensated on the carpet side (1/2") and it only ended up lowering 1/4" leaving a 1/4 behind. That was with it full of water. SO, I either need to shim the hardwood floor side, or just put a slightly thicker footer/base on that side. I'm so close I can't stand it! :) Just need to get everything plumbed and then it's on to finishing the stand off as nice as possible, and build a canopy while I'm at it!