LED brands over view as seen by majicmike

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good link. I recently noticed I was getting too much of a "point source" effect in my tank with the LED fixture I'm running. I tried raising the fixture, which helped a little, but it's still noticeable and measurable with a PAR meter. I thought that maybe the glass lid was a factor, but it's actually worse without the glass diffusing some of the light...go figure.

I plan on switching to just T5s within the next week or so, then may incorporate some supplemental blue LEDs for color. Having measured the PAR levels with both the T5s and the LEDs...I definitely noticed a more even spread with the T5s in the 12" deep tank. The PAR numbers were much more intense toward the surface with LEDs (probably why I lost a couple frags of zoas), and there were some areas directly under the strip of white LEDs that were significantly higher than an inch or so to either side. Raising the fixture did help the spread and muted that effect, but I then end up with waaaay too much light spill in the room if I raise the light to an acceptable height.

I do plan on going with LEDs again on my next build...it's a toss up between the AIs and the radion at this point.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jahmic;233522 said:
Good link. I recently noticed I was getting too much of a "point source" effect in my tank with the LED fixture I'm running. I tried raising the fixture, which helped a little, but it's still noticeable and measurable with a PAR meter. I thought that maybe the glass lid was a factor, but it's actually worse without the glass diffusing some of the light...go figure.

I plan on switching to just T5s within the next week or so, then may incorporate some supplemental blue LEDs for color. Having measured the PAR levels with both the T5s and the LEDs...I definitely noticed a more even spread with the T5s in the 12" deep tank. The PAR numbers were much more intense toward the surface with LEDs (probably why I lost a couple frags of zoas), and there were some areas directly under the strip of white LEDs that were significantly higher than an inch or so to either side. Raising the fixture did help the spread and muted that effect, but I then end up with waaaay too much light spill in the room if I raise the light to an acceptable height.

I do plan on going with LEDs again on my next build...it's a toss up between the AIs and the radion at this point.

I am also starting to think more about the "shimmer" effect with led's. I think the more surface agitation you have the more you defuse the
"point source" effect you talk about. Not only the is the light deflected on different angles but as it bounces back on itself , it should tend to defuse itself. Do I know this for sure? No I don't but it does make some since that this is what is going on. I only run my whites on my Led's for 4-5 hrs at most. Any longer seems to be to much light. Also I have always thought something was missing with led's I think the T-5s will and the "softness" that the led's seem to lack.

I think this is a great discussion BTW

soliver

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
Had a 250W Radium on my 92 Gallon Corner Reef tank. After doing some research, decided to go with one Radion. Eventhough I liked it, did not have enough spread and needed 2 lights for full coverage. Because of the cost, thought of trying 2 AI Blue Sols over the same tank and am happy with the Sols. Very sturdy and easy to use. The corals love it. During the initial setup, did not measure the PAR and bleached some corals. Have it mounted under the Canopy. Aquamart sells some brackets which are really useful for mounting the Sols under the Canopy.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
soliver;233534 said:
Had a 250W Radium on my 92 Gallon Corner Reef tank. After doing some research, decided to go with one Radion. Eventhough I liked it, did not have enough spread and needed 2 lights for full coverage. Because of the cost, thought of trying 2 AI Blue Sols over the same tank and am happy with the Sols. Very sturdy and easy to use. The corals love it. During the initial setup, did not measure the PAR and bleached some corals. Have it mounted under the Canopy. Aquamart sells some brackets which are really useful for mounting the Sols under the Canopy.
The sols are great lights for sure! But you will burn things up with them if not carefull

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
soliver;233534 said:
Just curious...what are the dimensions of your 92 corner?

edit: Welcome to the forum...kinda. Joined in 2009 and just posting up now! ;)

soliver

Copepod
M.A.S.C Club Member
The corner tanks is pie shaped with a wide round front. The dimensions are 48'' Front x 34'' Side x 24'' depth. Here is picture of my tank.

View attachment 12477

BTW, I was an observer on the forum over the years and just decided to contribute. Will try to come to the April Meeting. Looking forward to meeting the wonderful folks at MASC.