LED Group buy!

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
QLe;85259 said:
Another thing I notice is that to get maximum performance out of the drivers, I had to keep a cooling fan over them to cool them down.
With all of the problems you're having, you must really hate them. Why are you still using them?

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
saltySamurai;85320 said:
yeah, I had one out of 36 that I resoldered. Agree if you get sloppy with the solder or the guage is too thick - will interfere with your lens. especially if you aren't soldering plus / minus terminals exactly opposite.
That may be a sign they didn't use flux. Other signs are that the solder balls up instead of spreading out, and cold solder joints (the LED lead and the heat sink don't have a continuous solder joint between them).

Sloppy or excessive solder definitely makes a difference with the lenses. Flux will allow you to use less solder and reduce the time you need to make contact with the soldering iron. You can fry the LED if you take too long to solder. Pre-tinning your wire ends also cuts soldering iron contact time.

I agree - their solder jobs weren't too high quality - no flux from what I could tell. Since I'm using solid core 20 ga (thermostat wire actually; nicely has 7 different colors so that I can track my different circuits!), I don't pre-tin, but I find a dab of flux on the wire before I touch with solder on the joint itself does excellent.

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
Pre-tinning is for stranded or braided wire. Multi-strand wire acts like a wick and heat sink during soldering, so pre-tinning makes it act more like a single strand wire. Regardless, flux is always a good idea any time you solder.

The advantage of stranded wire is that, compared to a solid wire of the same gauge, the stranded wire has a lot less resistance to current flow.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so here is the spreadsheet for the 2nd order. Waiting on Felix to confirm, but I should be placing the order tonight.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...S1EX3E0ZXltMmNBQTdGdkE&hl=en&authkey=CKfm4_4I

Also Clayton, I took out the Pots for you, since it was only you ordering, it would of been like $25 in shipping, so it will be much cheaper to just get them from radioshack, or an online store like digikey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crit21

Butterfly Fish
I don't think there's such a thing as 25000K Bridgelux whites. I suspect all of the whites may be the same color temperature. The way to shift them to higher temps is to increase the current. It also shortens the life of the LEDs.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Na there are 3 different whites. This order I got 90 of each of the 2 the one is a bright pure white. The other is a bluish white. . So should be enough of each for everyone

Sent from my HTC Incredible

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Derek,
I spilled soda on my computer so I'm having a hard time getting online.
I'll paypal you as soon as possible.
Sorry