New Chinese Vortech MP-40 I give you the new Jebo Wp-40

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
At least it cannot have a thermostat malfunction and boil your tank like a Jebo heater.

Nobody can afford to be cheap in this hobby.

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

that0neguy1126;232203 said:
There is a difference between being cheap, and buying smart.
+1

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I just ordered 1.

Will check it out and report back! if it functions like the reviews I have seen so far, will get a 2nd one.

2 of these, and 2 MP40's in the tank should be all the flow I ever needed. plus at $108.80 per. Can't beat that even if it only lasts a year. that's still cheaper than an MP40.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Derek, I haven't read the whole thread yet. Has anyone figured out a way to vary the power yet? I know the knob controls the time between pulses but can the speed of the pump be reduced yet?

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes. it used a Variable 12-24v DC between the controller and the pump.

This means there are many ways to mod it. What I will be doing is putting in a 0-10v PWM input, with 11-24vDC output. This will allow me to control it with the Apex variable control ports. Basicially you take the input from the controller, which is 24vDC. and then it goes into another card, that will vary that from 11-24v based on the 0-10v PWM input the card is receiving.

Many people have also bought variable DC power supply's (the ones with the slider switch that let you adjust from like 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 20, 24vDC)

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Came home from work today and had a box waiting for me to my surprise.

View attachment 12702

View attachment 12703

[video=youtube_share;2wL_EHpzfIc]http://youtu.be/2wL_EHpzfIc[/video]

Just the 1 WP40 was able to create a very decent wave in an 8ft tank.

So far (it has been in the tank a whole 15 minutes) I have been very impressed. The pump feels solid. It is super quiet, I could not even tell if it was on until I looked at the propeller.
The only downside is having to spend a little bit extra and DIY it to make it controllable. But for $108 there is no way you can not pass one of these up. I am about to order a second one. Also, the power cable and motor are in the tank instead of outside like the MP40.

It is basically a Tunze with MP40 settings.

The only remaining question is, how long will it last? So far no one has had any issues with it in the US, but the longest I have seen is about 2 months. They have been sold over in Europe for quite a while and I did not find anything indicating a high failure rate.

Last edited by a moderator:

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

Party!!!

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
Cant wait to order one. Been following the rc thread for a while. Want to order and use it with my Apex. Are you going to get the LED PWM dimmer off ebay for 39$?

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea. I will eventually get a dimmer controll for it to hook it into my APEX, but probably not for a bit. The tank is big enough that I can run it on 100% power and have no issues.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
If I remember right, group buy wont really save any money. I think someone posted and they will do a small discount if you buy like 5 or 10. Problem is, the cost of shipping is still $20 per.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
Atlanta reef club did it, $35 a pump and then shipping. Went direct through mfg. Looks like it ended up at $55 per pump plus $10 S&H per. So $65 per pump. Granted that's a bit more volume that what we could gather here. Still less than fish street.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member

that0neguy1126;235679 said:
Came home from work today and had a box waiting for me to my surprise.

View attachment 12702

View attachment 12703

[video=youtube_share;2wL_EHpzfIc]http://youtu.be/2wL_EHpzfIc[/video]

Just the 1 WP40 was able to create a very decent wave in an 8ft tank.

So far (it has been in the tank a whole 15 minutes) I have been very impressed. The pump feels solid. It is super quiet, I could not even tell if it was on until I looked at the propeller.
The only downside is having to spend a little bit extra and DIY it to make it controllable. But for $108 there is no way you can not pass one of these up. I am about to order a second one. Also, the power cable and motor are in the tank instead of outside like the MP40.

It is basically a Tunze with MP40 settings.

The only remaining question is, how long will it last? So far no one has had any issues with it in the US, but the longest I have seen is about 2 months. They have been sold over in Europe for quite a while and I did not find anything indicating a high failure rate.
I ordered mine on the 7th and still haven't received it

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;235710 said:
So, what type of connector do these have? Dim5, like a tunze? I'm wanting to control these with my ReefAngel
So from what I understand, to control them you have to put a 0-24vDC adapter inline. Basically 24vDC input (coming from the controller that comes with the pump). then you have a 0-10vDC (or PWM) control input. Then the output is 0-24vDC (although the ones I have seen online are like 15-24vDC), this output goes to the pump.

DyM said:
What about the power supply, can someone post a link?
The power supply to the controller that comes with the pump is a regular 120vAC to 24vDC adapter.