PAR METER - Rental Program

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
That's pretty neat! Does any website state what each coral/species should be at?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Irishman;369123 said:
That's pretty neat! Does any website state what each coral/species should be at?
If there is I dont think I would put much into it. I am no expert here but I do know that par meters will read very differently for LED than they do for T5, VHO, or MH and no two will read exactly the same.

IMO a par meter is great for taking a baseline reading if you are moving a coral from one location to another or from one tank to another. Ultimately most corals can be acclimated to a fairly large spectrum of PAR intensities. I only use par if I am buying a coral from someone with similar lighting to mine and want a base reading for where in my tank I should start acclimating from.

I would never trust any website to say x coral should be placed under y par value. Its very subjective and all hobby grade par meters are subject to margins of error of +/- 20% so this means that no too par meters are going to take the same reading.

aquarius

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
I agree that PAR meters aren't the final word and many such as the Apogee meter struggle with the blue spectrum which many of us run, I personally have found my PAR meter very useful in adjustment of my LED lighting. It has also been useful in knowing when to replace my MH and T5 bulbs. While not necessary with either MH or T5 I personally won't adjust or run LED's without one and for those that do I recommend they start off more conservative than what they believe necessary. JMHO

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Is there still a waiting list on this PAR meter rental program? I'd like to be added to one. If no wait list I'd like to rent it within next couple of days. Thanks!!

Octopi

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is the Par meter rental still a thing? Just looking to use once so buying one seems a bit much. If not thru the club, does any LFS rent them out? Happy to pay $20 to rent but not wanting to pay $250 to buy one.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for finding this thread. I was wondering if the club was still doing this and I would like to get on the list if so. Trying to save up for one but bills keep popping up.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm really surprised that nobody has replied. Last I saw CRWreef was the person that was running this thread. I have been mostly inactive for a while so I'm not sure who is on the board anymore.

If you look at the start of the thread, the list has not been updated for almost 2 years. It is definitely a lot of work to pass it around and meet up, you have to be patient.

Remember the board is just volunteers...nobody is getting paid. However i'd try messaging him directly....

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Those whom are interested in renting the par meter please text me and we'll get everyone fixed up.

Chad 303.five06.0217

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is the par meter still getting rented out?

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can see that got a hold of him once and now nothing haha, no answers back

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
CRW Reef;n667238 said:
Those whom are interested in renting the par meter please text me and we'll get everyone fixed up.

Chad 303.five06.0217