Raising clownfish

joeMASC

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Please give us updates. Hoping you have great success. I've tried several times with mandarins and always loose them around the 5th day. I am going to get some rotifers soon and try again. I have one pair that seems to spawn 50 eggs about twice a week.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Raising clownfish

Update: Waiting on next batch of eggs. Preparing in advance this time.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Sweet! Where did you end up getting Rotifers? I'd love to see pics of the setup if you're gonna cultivate those with Phytoplankton, etc.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Going to order from Reed Mariculture when the time comes.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Did you get Rotifers from Reed?

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Got rotifers and phyto...they are ready to go.
Looks like maybe tonight the clowns will hatch.

Zooid (Gale) tried to pm you. Your inbox is full. I have a question for you.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Three+ days old and all seems ok so far. Had about 60 (best count) hatch. I had removed the rock the eggs were laid on before they hatched. Seems about 1/2 - 3/4 may not have hatched. May have had too much flow on them? I am not sure.
The rest are doing great. Hopefully I can get most/some to size.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Sweet! Hope a bunch of them survive. Let us know what feeding methods/amounts/frequency/etc. you found were the best.

joeMASC

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Raising clownfish

Glad to hear this one is working for you. I have a tomato own pair that look like they should lay eggs anytime now. Did you notice anything specific to watch for before the eggs were laid?

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Ghosty;224381 said:
Sweet! Hope a bunch of them survive. Let us know what feeding methods/amounts/frequency/etc. you found were the best.
I definitely will.

Zooid;224386 said:
doh! sorry.....I didn't see this post until now
No worries. Was wondering about raising in a 5gallon bucket for first week to keep food closer to them. Just decided to use a 12g stericontainer I had. Seems to be working out keeping water level lower.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

joeMASC;224427 said:
Glad to hear this one is working for you. I have a tomato own pair that look like they should lay eggs anytime now. Did you notice anything specific to watch for before the eggs were laid?

Oops didn't see the question. No nothing unusual. Just the normal dancing and rock cleaning.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Zooid;225100 said:
I use a 10g tank half full to raise the larvae.
That's what I wanted to use....but didn't have one on hand. Maybe for the next batch.

Sad news...seems one of my dogs decided they liked the taste of airline tubing. Air was off most the day it looks like. Lost probably 30% of my larvae.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
30% isn't too bad. You're doing great for a first batch. The air may not have been the
cause. I use extremely small amount of air for the first few days. Just enough to circulate
the greenwater. Those could have been larvae that were having a hard time perfecting their
hunting method.