Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Rocky Mountain Marine Conference & Swap
Alright everyone! We handed out tons of fliers for this yesterday and had a few hanging from various vendor booths!! Here is a little bit more information on the 1st ever Colorado Tri-Club meeting - The Rocky Mountain Marine Conference & Swap!!! All 3 clubs have decided to combine all 3 of their largest meetings of the year into one awesome event for EVERYONE!!!!

April 16th - FREE ADMISSION!!!! 10Am - 6PM
Highlands Ranch High School
9375 Cresthill Ln (Corner of University & Cresthill, just East of I-25 & Lincoln)
Highlands Ranch, CO 80130-4408

Speakers
We will also have an array of speaking presentations going on throughout the day! Our first confirmed speaker is Joe Thompson "thejrc." His presentation is - "Basement Biologists - How Hobbyists are changing the face of research as we know it!" He said he will give us something "different" than your ordinary presentation, maybe with a little hands on interaction!​

There are still more details to come as far as speakers go, but we know that you will be pleasantly surprised!!!​

Science Fair
The 3 participants of this years 1st Annual MASC Science Fair will be displaying their projects. As stated before, ALL three of the participants will be featured in a future edition of Reef Hobbyist Magazine! All of you, the attendee's, will have a chance to check out the projects, judge them, and then cast a vote to see who will win the "popular" vote. This will also be the time that the MASC board releases all of the science fair projects to our special judges (Matt Pedersen, Bob Fenner) who will ultimatly decide the grand prize winner. The grand prize winner recieves a FREE trip to MACNA 2011! Hotel provided by our own JontheFB owner of Fathom Aquatics, and the flight will be provided by Aqua Medic of North America! The winner will also recieve free entree to MACNA 2011 and will get to display their winning project in the Reef Hobbyist Magazine MACNA booth!!

Demo's
1. Fragging Workshop: This intereactive demo will be $10 for all club members and $20 for any club non member. Each club (DARC, MASC, SCMAS) determines who is a club member and who isn't a club member so if you have any questions please contact your board. There will be different groups, something like an morning one and a later one! I also will be putting a "sign up" in here once all the details are worked out!! Here is a "sample" of what may be in the workshop

easy-acro/monti
moderate-zoas, mushroom -soft coral
difficult-chalice, acan, or favia any brittle structure LPS

Also, if you are interested in holding a demo, we have been asked to try and find someone to do a DIY demo, PLEASE contact the MASC board and we will try and work out the details with you!!

Frag Swap
As always there will be a frag swap! Here is the list of the vendors that we have so far. If you would like to be a part of the frag swap please let us know and we can add you to the list! Remember, "older/used" equipment can also be sold, so if you've got anything lying around in the garage bring it on over and help someone else out!!​

Aquatic Art
ReefKoi
Steel City Corals
Mile High Aquatics
Build Your Tank
MTS
Gonzo's Coral Frags
Premier Aquatics
Boston Aqua Farms
Aqua Medic of North America
FCDenzReef
Raffle
1. 2x2 Frag Tank
2. Dry Goods (will change once specified)

Remember, ALL PROCEEDS will be donated to Highlands Ranch High school for their awesome dedication to this hobby, and to help maintain the tanks and the reef club that they have at their school!!​

Please if you have any questions you can post them here OR you can contact any one of the clubs' board members. There will be more details to come as the date draws nearer and nearer!!!

HRHS Coordinator: Mike Ryan
D.A.R.C - d.a.r.c@comcast.net
SCMAS
MASC - board@marinecolorado.org

Last edited by a moderator:

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
so does everyone have to pay the money for the demo or just if you want to be the on doing it?

68RUSTANG

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
All the raffle money will be donated to Highlands Ranch High school for their awesome dedication to this hobby, and to help maintain the tanks and the reef club that they have at their school.

Since the High schools is a non-profit, all raffle donations will be tax deductible. So if anyone is able to donate aquarium or non aquarium stuff for the raffle. Please contact me or anyone on the board of the three clubs or simply post it here.

Anyone have any tickets to sporting events they will be unable to use?

How about asking your employer for a donation?

C'mon lets get creative and raise some cash for the future generation of aquarium enthusiasts!

Thanks,

Tony Klein

leilanitony@aol.com

SCMAS

hurrafreak;80920 said:
Rocky Mountain Marine Conference & Swap
Alright everyone! We handed out tons of fliers for this yesterday and had a few hanging from various vendor booths!! Here is a little bit more information on the 1st ever Colorado Tri-Club meeting - The Rocky Mountain Marine Conference & Swap!!! All 3 clubs have decided to combine all 3 of their largest meetings of the year into one awesome event for EVERYONE!!!!

April 16th - FREE ADMISSION!!!!
Highlands Ranch High School
9375 Cresthill Ln (Corner of University & Cresthill, just East of I-25 & Lincoln)
Highlands Ranch, CO 80130-4408

Speakers
We will also have an array of speaking presentations going on throughout the day! Our first confirmed speaker is Joe Thompson "thejrc." His presentation is - "Basement Biologists - How Hobbyists are changing the face of research as we know it!" He said he will give us something "different" than your ordinary presentation, maybe with a little hands on interaction!​

There are still more details to come as far as speakers go, but we know that you will be pleasantly surprised!!!​

Science Fair
The 3 participants of this years 1st Annual MASC Science Fair will be displaying their projects. As stated before, ALL three of the participants will be featured in a future edition of Reef Hobbyist Magazine! All of you, the attendee's, will have a chance to check out the projects, judge them, and then cast a vote to see who will win the "popular" vote. This will also be the time that the MASC board releases all of the science fair projects to our special judges (Matt Pedersen, Bob Fenner) who will ultimatly decide the grand prize winner. The grand prize winner recieves a FREE trip to MACNA 2011! Hotel provided by our own JontheFB owner of Fathom Aquatics, and the flight will be provided by Aqua Medic of North America! The winner will also recieve free entree to MACNA 2011 and will get to display their winning project in the Reef Hobbyist Magazine MACNA booth!!

Demo's
1. Fragging Workshop: This intereactive demo will be $10 for all club members and $20 for any club non member. Each club (DARC, MASC, SCMAS) determines who is a club member and who isn't a club member so if you have any questions please contact your board. There will be different groups, something like an morning one and a later one! I also will be putting a "sign up" in here once all the details are worked out!! Here is a "sample" of what may be in the workshop

easy-acro/monti
moderate-zoas, mushroom -soft coral
difficult-chalice, acan, or favia any brittle structure LPS

Also, if you are interested in holding a demo, we have been asked to try and find someone to do a DIY demo, PLEASE contact the MASC board and we will try and work out the details with you!!

Frag Swap
As always there will be a frag swap! Here is the list of the vendors that we have so far. If you would like to be a part of the frag swap please let us know and we can add you to the list! Remember, "older/used" equipment can also be sold, so if you've got anything lying around in the garage bring it on over and help someone else out!!​

Aquatic Art
ReefKoi
Steel City Corals
Mile High Aquatics
Build Your Tank
MTS
Gonzo's Coral Frags
Premier Aquatics
Boston Aqua Farms
Aqua Medic of North America
FCDenzReef
Raffle
1. 2x2 Frag Tank
2. Dry Goods (will change once specified)

Remember, ALL PROCEEDS will be donated to Highlands Ranch High school for their awesome dedication to this hobby, and to help maintain the tanks and the reef club that they have at their school!!​

Please if you have any questions you can post them here OR you can contact any one of the clubs' board members. There will be more details to come as the date draws nearer and nearer!!!

SCMAS

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I also just recieved an email from Mike Ryan our Highlands Ranch Coordinator. He says that MANY students have recently been jumping into this hobby and for the vendors who will be there, if you bring beginner softies they will sell for sure!!! Also PLEASE, these students are also looking for MANY used pieces of equipment, if you have something sitting in the garage please bring it and sell it so it is passed onto someone who can newly enjoy this hobby at not such a high price as some of us did!!!

Remember as Tony has said above also. DOESN'T MATTER what you have extra of, please contact us if you have extra of anything and we will try and raffle it off!! Video games, consoles, movie, sports tickets, Itunes cards, WHATEVER you can think of we will try and raffle it off so that people will have a good chance of getting something, even if it's something different!!

We are working on setting up a DIY LED workshop! If the details workout we will be doing this! Hopefully you all are looking forward to this as much as we the BOD are because this is on of the few times you can see the clubs working together towards the betterment of everyone!!!!

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I have some things I can donate for the raffle can we donate corals for it? Also can we hand out some freebie soft corals to the kids that will be there?

so many of the students will be attending? If so this is great in helping me shape how I pitch my presentation! This'll be fun (or I'll fall flat on my face lol).

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
the_fish_man;81709 said:
Well I have some things I can donate for the raffle can we donate corals for it? Also can we hand out some freebie soft corals to the kids that will be there?
Please feel free to donate as many corals as you would like to our raffle!!! You can also give away the corals if you would like, I'm sure the students would like them very much!!

thejrc;81710 said:
so many of the students will be attending? If so this is great in helping me shape how I pitch my presentation! This'll be fun (or I'll fall flat on my face lol).
Yes, from what I hear many students as well as many of us will be attending!!! I promise a good time for all that come!!

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sweet and are the students voting on science projects to?

excellent

I would love to point out to everyone reading this that the youngsters are the most important to our hobby and what we enjoy. Nothing captivates a thinking mind like a reef tank I am sure you all will agree. Let's make sure we all reach out and help guide these students in the hobby whether they strive to be purely hobbyists, future marine biologists, or the president of the good ole USA. Lets keep the hobby strong through generations, and hope that these new youngsters learn from the mistakes we've made before they make them.

In other words... THEJRC's bringing a baseball bat... take care of the kiddos or I'll break yer legs!

I will!! Just remember I sit with the likes of Matt Pedersen and Andy on MBI council... we're anal about judging just right.

hrmm I might get to break Matts legs! sweeeeet

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol jrc you are confusing me what actually are you? I mean are you judging, a demo person, Etc.srry might be a stupid question to ask

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
the_fish_man;81721 said:
Lol jrc you are confusing me what actually are you? I mean are you judging a demo person srry might be a stupid question to ask
Joe Thompson is a VERY intelligent person. He will be speaking at our first ever Rocky Mountain Marine Conference and is on the MBI council, in which some of our own club members (zooid, ummfish) are members. VERY VERY intelligent and VERY entertaining, you will be very sad if you miss his presentation!!

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol okay I won't. I want to see him break someones legg to lol

sugaree

Cleaner Shrimp
I'm not sure if I can make it, but I whipped up a little design for the event that I can make into decals that can be sold to help the school if you think there would be interest.

the_fish_man;81721 said:
Lol jrc you are confusing me what actually are you? I mean are you judging, a demo person, Etc.srry might be a stupid question to ask
Lol... just a speaker and a geek. never stupid questions only stupid answers!

hurrafreak;81722 said:
HMM, hey maybe knows some sort of filefish juijitsu??
Lol, he prolly does, but I got Ninja snail army here.... they reproduce faster and well... they're in MY tanks so they have to be better

hurrafreak;81723 said:
Joe Thompson is a VERY intelligent person. He will be speaking at our first ever Rocky Mountain Marine Conference and is on the MBI council, in which some of our own club members (zooid, ummfish) are members. VERY VERY intelligent and VERY entertaining, you will be very sad if you miss his presentation!!
LOL I appreciate the accolades... To be brutally honest Zooid and Ummfish (Andy and Gale) are much further ahead than me IMHO, I'm just your average ADD geek that wants to get everyone pumped up.

I can tell you all from experience and knowing all these people that the multiple club board members, the volunteers, the vendors, and the sponsors all work doubletime to make these things kick off. To have all three clubs join together for April is a pretty slick deal, and the local Vendors we have are nothing to scoff at. Having the students around and the opportunity to reach a larger audience is a great opportunity for us to hook some new addict....... err... continue the hobbyist interest which is also something that I havent seen done.

But it takes more than Vendors and speakers to make the show guys, let's kick it into high gear and do it to it! I'll break the legs of anyone that doesnt heckle me too. I'm just that kinda guy!

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
sugaree;81727 said:
I'm not sure if I can make it, but I whipped up a little design for the event that I can make into decals that can be sold to help the school if you think there would be interest.

That's actually pretty freaking cool!! You should send me a PM with a little more detail.