Seth's 150g DD SPS dominant reef

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;357110 said:
I put the rock in first, then sand, the add water slowly. It helps some. The first time I did it, I added water first then sand and it was a total mess.
Can't due to supplies available out here. Had to do ro/di then add salt then sand and rock soon. I don't have any water storage.

You can do it in that order for small tanks but not big tanks.

Edit: well not in the timeframe I have.

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you have to add sand after water for some reason, set the unopened bag into the water and then once it is in the bottom of the tank cut a slit the entire length of the bag on its side, then slowly lift out the plastic bag. Your sand will be all in one spot and it will still be a tiny bit cloudy, but it wont look like a tank with tan water, and it will settle and separate much faster than just dumping sand in the water.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Skrappy;357203 said:
If you have to add sand after water for some reason, set the unopened bag into the water and then once it is in the bottom of the tank cut a slit the entire length of the bag on its side, then slowly lift out the plastic bag. Your sand will be all in one spot and it will still be a tiny bit cloudy, but it wont look like a tank with tan water, and it will settle and separate much faster than just dumping sand in the water.
Very good tip!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, I have decided on how I am going to put my rock. It has been hard because I rilly like Josh's rock stack but due to my livestock choices I will not be able to do a frame like rock structure. I will have to have piles so there are plenty of hiding spaces for all the anthias.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, The Colorado guys rock! this build thread has 5x more views than the DC thread. Its awesome how active this club is!

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe just a front panel to cut down on the glare when you look at the tank.

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
The branch stack on the right is sweet. It will look really good full of coral :)

glad ad to see you got the sand and water in there! Nice job on the light rack too. I think skinning it would look good too.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Shaunv;357291 said:
The branch stack on the right is sweet. It will look really good full of coral :)

glad ad to see you got the sand and water in there! Nice job on the light rack too. I think skinning it would look good too.

Thanks! Yah I am not sure when I will get arround to skinning that. The 8020 stuff is pretty darn expensive.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The Tonga piece on the top left looks like a pair of arms reaching out....kinda freaking me out! But I like the middle section a lot, does that form an arch or is it touching the sand in the back or something. Looks awesome!

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well fixed the other halide and wired up the VHO's. All thats left is hanging my led chips and mounting my reefbrite.

Went the pee in the tank route since I could not find the bottled bacteria I was looking for. Did some water tests this evening and came out with: Ammonia: 0ppm , nitrite 1ppm, nitrate 25 ppm phosphate 0.05 ppm. So looking good so far.

I am not liking Instant Ocean as a salt. Used 3 complete bags and at a salinity of 1.024 I was getting calc 360, Alk of 10.5, and a mag of 1200. So time to start looking for a better salt that is available out here.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Looking good man. Honestly surprised they dont have more options for saltwater stuff available

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
SynDen;357488 said:
Looking good man. Honestly surprised they dont have more options for saltwater stuff available
Yah the fish stores near me are pretty crappy and expensive. $14 for a blue damsel.....

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Regular instant ocean or reef crystals? Regular IO is going to be low on trace, and RC isn't much better. I used to order red sea coral pro salt from Dr. F&S with free shipping. Pricing was reasonable, and the salt was decent.