2 Tanks To One Sump

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Anyone done this and if so how did you go about your overflow plumbing with 2 tanks? I have the plumbing to tackle tomorrow and have a pretty good idea on how I am wanting to go with it but figured I would ask. If able provide pictures and simple sketch diagram. The stand in the middle will have 2 tanks (build thread shows tidepool and lps frag). Both of these tanks will be plumbed into one sump and will also have dual returns.

20240715_203532.jpg

I used to have a frag tank plumbed into my display tank. Actually working on hooking it back up right now. Display is already running so will just drop another pump in with 2 return pipes in the frag tank.

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I used to have a frag tank plumbed into my display tank. Actually working on hooking it back up right now. Display is already running so will just drop another pump in with 2 return pipes in the frag tank.
How are you working the overflow (drain lines)?

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
In your case I’d just have each tank drain to the sump as if they are separate. If you are doing a dual drain “herbie” overflow have the main and emergency drains go to the sump. One return that is split to each tank… I can show you my main tank and nem that all drain to the same sump if ya want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Plumbing so far and its going pretty good. Going to run all the overflow lines first and then returns.....

In your case I’d just have each tank drain to the sump as if they are separate. If you are doing a dual drain “herbie” overflow have the main and emergency drains go to the sump. One return that is split to each tank… I can show you my main tank and nem that all drain to the same sump if ya want.

Did you just use one return pump? And T split it? I have dual returns on the 20g long and a single on the tidepool tank. Take a look and edit returns in on how you would run them. Was going to use valves to decrease the runs to even out the flow back to both tanks will also allow me to close off one system at a time for maintenance on both tanks.
20240717_142934.jpg 20240717_142906.jpg

Dr.DiSilicate

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I’m using one return pump for all of mine, it’s a bit oversized and I have a ball valve at each tank.

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Update. Overflows done and returns pretty much done. Needing to grab some pvc holders to pin up the return lines. So there isn't any issues with weight and keep things nice and tight.

20240717_200455.jpg 20240717_200624.jpg 20240717_200503.jpg 20240717_200636.jpg 20240717_200645.jpg

Angelo

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just make sure that the sump can hold the water when the returns are off. You don't want it to overflow. You might also need to expand the return chamber to hold more water. These were problems that I didn't forsee when I had a similar setup.

Sent from my SM-S906U using MASC mobile app

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Just make sure that the sump can hold the water when the returns are off. You don't want it to overflow. You might also need to expand the return chamber to hold more water. These were problems that I didn't forsee when I had a similar setup.

Its a decent size sump. If needed I can plumb an additional area for the return. Sump is acrylic so I can drill it run it to a 10g and have the 10g as the return chamber if it doesnt work out. I can set the pump on low to start and go up by 5 on the controller til I get a good average and flow rate. Not really wanting to push it but figured it would be better than an hob. Thanks for the heads up! It is very much appreciated. The way the returns are and overflows should only be 5g drain back tops.

Going to run the system before adding things back besides 3 rocks from the tidepool tank that have no coral that will run in the system for a day before adding everything back and fragging the lps needed to make space.

Figured I would document steps as much as possible cause there was nothing I could find online anywhere. With pictures or anything for doing this.

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Have pictures of the set up? If so can you please share em up on here trying to build a thread for if and when people choose to do this it isn't them going in blind.

@Dr.DiSilicate mind posting some up for how you did it as well when you have a chance?

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Everything is all finished up and ready to fill after I get one last 3/4 to 1/2in reducer. Excited to get thimgs back to normal tomorrow and the 40 breeder out of the dining room. All thats left is mounting the lights for these tanks and its good to go. Everything will be a transfer back minus a few pieces that will go in the sump. Final shots of the plumbing. 20240718_185608.jpg 20240718_185615.jpg 20240718_185624.jpg 20240718_190842.jpg 20240718_190854.jpg

N1tew0lf1212

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
The plumbing looks great!
I had 2 tanks off of one sump but like others posted, ball valves on both the return and drain to control flow
Thank you and thats how i did it. It also allows me to close off one system completely at a time to do maintenance.

Update shot tide pool tank. Currently waiting on one last part for the lps frag tank. IMG_20240722_162209.jpg