A Couple Questions for everyone ??

Give me some answers from experience, opinion, reading, anything. Appreciate the help guys!

1) I've now lost 3 fish from carpet surfing. I was looking around the garageand thought that white light diffuser would work, but it's roughly 1/4 -1/2" think so it will obstruct (diffuse) some of the light that I'm tryingso hard get into the tank. I had some left over galvanized hardware cloth whichI thought would work. Pros: it's rigid so I can cut/bend it into any shape soit does not need a frame (like netting or screen, etc. would need). It's thingauge wire so no light obstruction, I can cut the shape to accommodate cordsfrom the tank (power heads, etc.), I can slide it under the legs for the lightso it's sturdy in place and the biggest fish will not be able to knock it off,or get tangled into it. Cons: it's galvanized metal, so will that be bad forthe tank? Technically it sits about 1 1/4" above the water level, but itwill get wet and develop salt creep. Any other problems with this? Will thiswork?

2) Growing excessive algae. As soon as I move a power head to hit the faux rockback wall that I made to increase flow and eliminate Cyno, or the green algaeit goes away instantly. The problem is then it develops somewhere else. Now Ihave it developing on the sand bed. My question is the source of the algaegrowth? Excessive nutrients (overfeeding), high phosphates, to long of a lightcycle? And will the management of this be assisted by the Diamond Goby? I'velost two of these to jumping out of the tank, so now that that problem issolved hopefully, will he help eliminate patches on the sand? If not, is ittime to run a GFO? Any other chemical additives I'm missing? I developedBryopsis for a short time but the Tech M eliminated that very nicely and I havenot had the problem since.

Guess that's enough for now. I have a few ID questions, and one coral thatdoesn't seem to be happy anywhere, but I'll post that later. Thanks in advancefor the help and suggestions. See the attached pictures..

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Look for clear netting for keeping the fish in they make it with 1/4" squares and you can just build a screen frame with it to the size of your tank. The galvanized will be mostly rust in a month.
AS far as algea I would avoid the goby and look at getting another powerhead instead.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How many cubes do you feed per day or how many times per day? What ro are you using? And salt?

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 to the clear net, I think Brs sells it. As far a the algae, need to test phosphate and nitrate to see where those are at. My diamond just kept the algae from growing on the sand, but not a solution to the problem. May need to run gfo or try the red sea stuff to drive phosphate and nitrate down.

I was wondering what if you sprayed the galvanized metal with an epoxy to coat it? I realy like how it's rigid, and easy to use. I know the Goby wouldn't be a long term soultion, but thought hopefully he might sift the sand enough to prevent these large spots. I feed one cube in the morning, and a small pinch of flakes in the evening. Sometimes I skip the flake feeding and put a piece of seaweed in there on a clip. I'll find a place to test phosphates, I don't have that test.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well you can come get your ato and the phos test kit I have! And the 2 reactors I have as well. And ill give you some carbon and I have gfo for you to. One stop shop! Make you a sweet deal you always say you want your water crystal clear. Well carbon will do that.