Anemone Splitting but Stuck?

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey All,

My anemone appears to be splitting for the first time, but seems like it might have got stuck? How long does this process usually take? About 4 days ago I noticed that anemone was splitting. The bottom and middle part of it had split, but it was still connected at the "top". The two feet moved apart from each other, but the top still hasn't split. It's difficult to describe, but the anemone is now one long "line" as the two feet have moved to the side of the still-connected top bit. I keep expecting the top bit to split but it's been 4 days now and still nothing.

Anyway I've never had an anemone split but thought the process would be quicker than this...is it stuck?

Appreciate the feedback

cremer9

Butterfly Fish
mine split all the time,sometimes the takes a couple day do a small water change Mine split twice in a row a couple times....

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
cremer9;285269 said:
mine split all the time,sometimes the takes a couple day do a small water change Mine split twice in a row a couple times....
Hmmm OK I did a small water change so I guess I won't worry about it for now. Anemone looks healthy enough (good color, inflated) just weird shape. Appreciate the info, thanks.

I had one get stuck for a couple weeks. Used the razor blade method. I actually cut him in the wrong spot so had to cut twice more. Wound up with 3 and all are still healthy a few months later.

eye man at soul

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
greaseballpaul;285578 said:
I had one get stuck for a couple weeks. Used the razor blade method. I actually cut him in the wrong spot so had to cut twice more. Wound up with 3 and all are still healthy a few months later.

eye man at soul
Mine is still not split after about a week and a half... Doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear so not sure if I should be concerned or not. Is it bad if it get's "stuck" like this? It split at the mouth, so I'm not even sure that it can eat food anymore, should I think about the razor blade method at some point?

Thanks.

That's what mine did and is why I was worried and cut him. I'm not sure if its a risk to it or not. Mine couldn't eat either. I haven't been feeding them (just letting them catch pods etc) and they're good to go.

eye man at soul

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well surprisingly enough the anemone seems to be re-connecting itself? The two feet came back together, and a single, central mouth has formed again. Haven't heard of this happening before but it seems fine...weird little animal haha.

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just a quick follow up, the anemone finally did split! After multiple cycles of half-splitting and attempts to reconnect, he pulled the trigger and went for it.

So in the future if anyone's anemone ends up half-split and is worried like I was, you are probably ok. Mine survived for about a month in a half-split state, and didn't fully split until the month and a half mark. Stay strong!

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I had an huge RBTA do the same thing for months. Finally one morning i woke up and it had split into 3

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReefCheif;291609 said:
I had an huge RBTA do the same thing for months. Finally one morning i woke up and it had split into 3
And I only got 2 :( Slacker anemone

laramie40;291614 said:
What type of anemone, are you interested in selling?
Some sort of BTA, not sure on fancy name but its green and orange with red tips. Not currently planning to sell (I like the spare anemone for one the big clown kicks the little one out) but I will reach out to you if I change my mind.

Nice! And good to know. It's either a rainbow or a sunburst i would think. If it's a sunburst you're really lucky!

maxfrenkel19

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good_GReef;291651 said:
Nice! And good to know. It's either a rainbow or a sunburst i would think. If it's a sunburst you're really lucky!
Well who knows...after a google image search of both of those morphs I can't really tell the difference LOL. Once it's healed up and looking nice again I'll try to get a pic up for an ID.

Thanks all.